Petromax Flame in Mixing Tube

• Whilst using a Petromax 829 this evening an unusual thing happened. The lamp had been lit for about half an hour and was at a pressure of 2.5 Bar. It was running well. Suddenly and without warning the light dimmed and the lamp started to gurgle and roar. The flame had drawn back into the mixing tube and the mixing tube was glowing red hot. I quickly turned the valve wheel back and forth a few times thinking that there must be some dirt at the jet but it did not help so I released the pressure and put the lamp out. After the lamp had cooled down I lit it again and it behaved completely normally.

Does anyone have an idea what might have caused this? It was quite alarming and I wonder what could have happened if the lamp had been allowed to burn in this condition for a while? I suspect it would have been badly damaged.

• Hello Svenedin,

first :welcome: here.

[...] Does anyone have an idea what might have caused this? [...]

Currently we are discussing this problem in the german section, but we haven't found a good description right now.
    I will say it's a mixture of some things, e.g. some dirt in the jet, low pressure, maybe a too small mantle...

[...] It was quite alarming and I wonder what could have happened if the lamp had been allowed to burn in this condition for a while? [...]

She will melt the mixig tube, befor this the paddle inside will melt.

Gruß Rüdiger [iogear1]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erst eine PX500 BW, jetzt Ʃ14805HK + Ʃ39,7kW + Ʃ173''.... mol seehn wat noch kimmt :whistling:

• Thank you Iogear. The mantle is a Peerless 24A, not small. The pressure was good, 2.5, and the light was bright and steady. The gurgling and drawing back of the flame happened suddenly. Yes, perhaps it was dirt -either carbon on the jet or something in the fuel that partially blocked the jet.

I checked everything and I could find no fault so whatever caused it had gone. The lamp is fine now but I was a little frightened and I don't trust the lamp anymore!

The lamp that did this is the one in the middle. It malfunctioned a few minutes after the picture was taken.

• Good evening Svenedin (your Name?),

is the mixing tube glowing, when you turn off the lamp regulary?

[...] The lamp is fine now but I was a little frightened and I don't trust the lamp anymore! [...]

In some cases it is possible to blow the flame back to the mantle. Just blow strong into the beginning of the mixingtube, were the jet inject the fuelgas. ;)

Gruß Rüdiger [iogear1]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erst eine PX500 BW, jetzt Ʃ14805HK + Ʃ39,7kW + Ʃ173''.... mol seehn wat noch kimmt :whistling:

• Good evening Stephan,

so I will say it has been some dirt in the jet.... happens sometimes :juggle:

Gruß Rüdiger [iogear1]

• And my experience... After sometimes several hours of burning nicely, mine erupts into flames for no reason.

This has happened on a regular basis, despite cleaning and tightening everything every single time I use it. The reason? I guess it is just down to (1) poor quality of production or (2) bad design. However, I suspect the former.

Please do not adjust your mind there is a fault in reality

• Hi tigang,
    the petromax is a Lamp for people who have fun tinker and fettle at the lamps.
    In some cases the root cause of a problem is difficult to find.
    Remember it's a lantern concept which was designed more than 100 years ago.
    And even if they are still produced, the technical construction has changed little.
    So its rather a historical item from current production.
    (As Aladdin mantle lights as well.)

If you want a reliable lamp for instantaneous light,
    buy a new coleman gasoline lamp or gas lantern.
    This will suit you.

But these don't have the look & feel,
    do not have the shape, design and chrome
    than a Petromax or equvalent clones.

If you want to stay with the design,
    sell the PX to a fellow forum colleague,
    buy a Santrax, Butterfly or Sea Anchor
    and give it a 2nd try.

br
    willi

Demut tät' uns allen gut.