Used CP500 value? + info sources?

• Hi, first post so I'm not entirely sure of protocols here.

I'm a Scout leader and my interest in pressure lamps comes from the need when camping away from power for good reading/cooking light, that and regular power cuts due to cable failures at home.

What I need to know is what kind of value used CP500 lamps have? The e-bay'd ones seem to be VERY expensive in the UK, and shipping from Europe is also a factor.

I've an old Anchor copy to learn the basics on so I don't wreck a real Petromax, when I find one, but apart from one expensive (about 15 euros) 13 page manual I haven't found much information on overhaulling or maintenance beyond the basic user manual, any recommendations?

Niel.

• Hi Niel welcome to this board
    As for value of lanterns - the value of a lantern is as high as someone is willing to pay for it. And that depends on the type, year and model of a lantern.
    And that is very hard to say.
    Lanterns on e*** are usually expensive due to the shipping costs and new lanterns on the web -cost from $60~$150 w/o the shipping price
    The cheapest way to buy a lantern is to buy one at a yard sale/flee market/car boot sale.
    But usually e*** is the best price for something on the web.
    First you have to decide of type of lantern you want. And 500cp are not the only type out there (there are 150,200,300 and more).
    There are mainly 3 types -
    1. The Petromax style lanterns (German design)
    2. The Tilley style (English design)
    3. The Coleman style (American design)

All of them are fixable and the older models (1950's~1970's) are better built and for most models parts are available
    This is a great hobby and some of us are already hooked.
    As for overhauling a lantern - I don’t you can really destroy one if you use common sense
    You can use the exploded diagram to understand how the lantern is built and any question you have on the procedure will probably answered here by one of the forum members.
    And remember for the first timers there isn’t a stupid question and it is better to ask and learn then to make mistakes.
    If you decide on another type of lantern there are other resources available.
    But this is the best place to find info on Petromax and Petromax’s clones
    Again welcome and good luck :prost:

• Zitat

Originally posted by Neiljohn
    I've an old Anchor copy to learn the basics on so I don't wreck a real Petromax, when I find one, but apart from one expensive (about 15 euros) 13 page manual I haven't found much information on overhaulling or maintenance beyond the basic user manual, any recommendations?

There's a manual produced by Rob Earl which tells you EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about Petromax and the clones, including servicing etc.

But IMHO you'd be better getting ex-military Bialaddin and Vapalux lanterns to use. These are easily available and very cheap in the UK. All parts are easily available and they usually have been refurbished by the military before sale. All Vapaluxes and Bialaddins are of the highest quality and are a doddle to use and maintain - that's why the Army have been using them since 1939.

PM me for more information if you want... :prost:

David

• Greeting Neil,
    first here are some links for you:

http://www.endtimesreport.com/petromax_owners_manual.html

http://www.endtimesreport.com/petromax_op.html

I think the first & second links has the same content.

Then to your question about the lamp itself:
    OF COURSE THE PETROMAX IS THE BEST LAMP ;), so only buy this one ;) ;)

Used army lamp (with metal storage box) should be ~ 55-75,-€, new ones from 75-??,-€ without shipping.

Orthotiger

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Orthotiger ()

• Orthotiger wrote thus:

Then to your question about the lamp itself:
    OF COURSE THE PETROMAX IS THE BEST LAMP , so only buy this one

Used army lamp (with metal storage box) should be ~ 55-75,-€, new ones from 75-??,-€ without shipping.

~~~~~~~~~~

Yes I've seen the army ones with boxes on e-bay, the shippings not too bad, but most sellers don't use paypal, so I don't bid...

Got any links to buy one?

Niel.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Neiljohn ()

• Zitat

Originally posted by David Shouksmith

But IMHO you'd be better getting ex-military Bialaddin and Vapalux lanterns to use. These are easily available and very cheap in the UK. All parts are easily available and they usually have been refurbished by the military before sale. All Vapaluxes and Bialaddins are of the highest quality and are a doddle to use and maintain - that's why the Army have been using them since 1939.

PM me for more information if you want... :prost:

Have p/m'd (I think), also bought a Bialaddin (and a Tilley for comparason).
    My wife now thinks I'm completely nuts!

Niel. :D

• Hey Niel,

welcome in the "are-you-nuts"-Club. This question will be repeated any time you bring another lamp :motz:.

Just be careful with the Bialaddin - the carburetors like to rip when using the wrong fuel.

Happy burning & lighting

Orthotiger

• Finally got some pictures and posted them, all lamps apart from a Bialladin thats been polished (fount still red painted underneath) that Im using for spares, in the SeaAnchor, Bialladin and Tilley sections.

niel. :prost:

• right place!
    bought a virtually unused sea-anchor 500 yesterday for £10, base model not rapid, emptied the fount of fluid, refilled with fresh paraffin, new mantle, pump up and light with meths, all OK, just needs a pricker as when I checked it it was bent.
    The fluid I emptied out wasn't paraffin, I suspect it was Coleman fuel, very flammable when I tried it in an open cup test, explained the lack of mantle remains and no heat marks any where on the top but blackened nozzle..?

• Zitat

Originally posted by Neiljohn
    right place!
    bought a virtually unused sea-anchor 500 yesterday for £10, base model not rapid, emptied the fount of fluid, refilled with fresh paraffin, new mantle, pump up and light with meths, all OK, just needs a pricker as when I checked it it was bent.
    The fluid I emptied out wasn't paraffin, I suspect it was Coleman fuel, very flammable when I tried it in an open cup test, explained the lack of mantle remains and no heat marks any where on the top but blackened nozzle..?

How I wish I'd used that one when asked to add citronela lamp oil to one of my lamps to keep the flying pests away "might as well put one to good use" by SWTSMBO, put it in a Tilley, having been warned parffin only in Bialladin/Vapalux, and it burned hot enough to grab the lower burner section onto the vapouriser :wallbash:, Tilley now needs burner and vapouriser ;(....Looking for a spares or repairs unit on e-bay...
    Still hankering after a German Army steel boxed Petromax 8)

Niel.

• Well I picked up an older Tilley, like the one I posted in the gallery, brown top, gold coloured fount with cage attached to the fount by 4 sleeve nuts, but not glass or mantle, cost £2! :))
    Checked inside fount, reasonably clean, cleaned the valve base filter gauze, put in the glass (from the one we'd wrecked the mantle support/vaporiser with citronella :wallbash: ) and a new mantle, added fresh fuel, set torch going and 2 mins later we had light! :P

Note to self, Tilley and Vapalux/Bialladin must only use parafin! :motz: