Running on diesel / derv

• Hi all,
    I run my Petromax on diesel /derv, which I know is not the best as Kero is the recommended fuel and diesel makes the vaporiser clog up with carbon deposits, however I am allergic to Kero / Paraffin (makes me breathless) whereas diesel has no effect on me and of course burns with no smell, my question is what is the best way to 'de - coke' the vaporiser / carburettor, especially the helical section, would I be correct to assume that acetone will do this or is there an easier way? I am aware that there is a new piece of kit to allow the use of alcohol, methanol, ethanol as a fuel but in the UK all these fuels are 3 to 6 times more expensive than either Kero or diesel.

• johnmsmithfd
    sorry to hear, that you are allergic to Kero.

But for example using a HK500 together with diesel fuel should not end up automatically in a vaporiser clog if you follow some smale rules, handling your Petromax.
    The secrect is, that you should run you Petromax not in short terms.
    Mean, if you just light it up several times just for a half an hour, after a while you will end up in a clog. In my opinion using kero or diesel with the HK500 makes not such a big difference.
    Try to use your Petromax for min. 2h running each term and you will see, there will be a "self cleaning effect".
    If you already need to clean the parts, use the "search function" of this forum, there are several ways to reach the goal. But using diesel for cleaning the parts is also very effective.

That your Petromax always will shine bright....

Gruß Bernd

• Acetone would do the trick. But I'm sure you're aware of the related risks of Acetone. You could clean the vaporiser mechanically with a spare Bowden cable aswell.

best wishes
    Dietmar

• Thanks for all your replies and suggestions guys, got a few options to try now.
    P.S what is a Bowden cable?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von johnmsmithfd ()

• I have used Cillit Bang (the liquid, not the gel or the spray) very successfully to clean the vaporiser of a very old Vapalux table lamp. I put the Cillit Bang in the reservoir, then pumped it to force it up the vaporiser then used the needle left it a bit, then pumped, and repated until the Cillit Bang was blown through the top of the vaporiser