Advice please

• Hello to all of you fine friends out there.

I've come across a beautiful Lötlampe in an online auction site. I would kindly like to ask for some information about it, maybe some of you friends have a similar one or maybe even the very same model.

The seller provides the following information: "BARTEL FULLMENGE 0.18 L BENZIN MADE IN GERMANY 059"

Does it seem complete to your eyes? Any parts missing that I couldn't notice? And one last question: does it run on regular car fuel (Any danger)?

PS: The price is 33 Euros, any comments?

Many thanks.

• Hello Pyro,

it looks like complete, only the soldering hammer is missing, but that would not ceep the blowlamp from burning.

The preheating cup seems to be a little bit displaced but this could propably been fixed. Everything else looks proper and complete.

You will propably have to replace the seal and pumpwasher by new ones, but it looks fine.

And yes, ordinary car fuel will make it run :done:

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• If you restore it conscientious, it should not be more dangerous than a propane/butane burner.
    But be careful ! The seals you use have to be resistant against car fuel. Viton is a suitable material.
    I have got a Barthel No.80 and it works perfectly. The only thing you should never do is to fill more fuel into the tank than the description says.
    In your case it is stamped on the tank, 180 ml is the maximum.
    I´ll attach a picture of my Barthel No.80 with the soldering hammer mounted.

Stefan

• Many thanks for the attention gentleman. I was hoping Stefan would add a picture of his torch, which he did, because I remember him having one of the same kind.

Now, I know I've asked the many times before, but how on earth is it possible that these torches burn on gasoline? Isn't it extremely dangerous? Gasoline is combustible, flammable, call it whatever you like, it's downright hazardous!

I do have the intention of buying this torch, for the first reason that it's a wonderful antique. But will I have the guts to light it? I don't know... Maybe have my wife waiting next to me with a fire extinguisher in case I lose my eyebrows!

May I please ask for directions on how to light it? And do you guys get Viton in sheets and cut washers and gaskets out of them yourselves?

I presume the one I posted is a model 59? Does anyone know the difference between model 59 and 80? Is it the tank capacity? And one last question, in which time frame would you place these models? Pre/post WW2?

Many thanks to you two friends.

• Hi Pyro,

there is no issue with gasoline in blowtorches. It has been used for ages, only a few blowtorches are using wood-alcohol or paraffin-oil. Just keep an eye on the right seals, Viton will do it.

Barthel_Loetkolben.jpg

Barthel model 59/2 was made in GDR and is in fact post-war.
    If I only have a small BBQ here, I prefer this one the start the grill.

For the first time use, I would recommend to light 2 preheater-cups before opening the hand-wheel. Otherwise the torch doesn't burn blue, but spits a flame out of it.

Have fun, it's a very nice toy

BR,
    Wilm

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

• Exactly as Wilm says,

burn two cups of Alcohol in your preheater-cup under the Brass-Burner, before pump up 15 til 20 pumpstrokes, then, when your second cup is almost empty, turn on your Handwheel and enjoy the sound of those blowlamps.

They are not much more dangerous as propane/butane-lamps but have that much more power.... :done:

The only important thing is to care for the gaskets on the tank and within the pump.

And there is somebody, making excellent pumpwashers in Türkie, you can find him on ebuy.

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Benz-ihn ()

• Many thanks for the advice gentleman. There are two more days left for the auction with no bids on it, I think I'm not going to let this one go by after reading your reviews.

I will post new pictures as soon as I get the item.

Till then, warmest regards & thanks.