Mantle quality...?

• Hello All !

I've had an old Hipolito for some time and I just got around to "restoring" it.

I bought a load of spares from Britelyt - which seems to be our only source for spares here in the states.

Everything went very well. and the lantern now shines very - very brightly.

Here's my problem.

I also purchased 5 new mantles from them.

At initial fire up - I burned my mantle properly (I have several Colemans as well - so I know how to properly burn down a mantle) - and preheated the vaporiser with two cups of alcohol. I "gradually" opened the knob - so as not to send too much pressure right away into the nozzle etc.

As stated - the lantern shone very brightly - but.....the mantle also had several "blowouts" - inspection of the flame with a pair of welding goggles shown several small holes already in the mantle.

I shut the lantern down and came back in a few hours and replaced the mantle - burned down a new one and went through the whole process again.

.........more holes in the second mantle........

Am I doing something wrong ?

Is there a more robust mantle out there ?

I had read about using the Colman #11 mantles as they were a very tough mantle - any validity to that ?

Thansk !!

Dan

• Coleman Mantles are very good.
    I always use Coleman Gold Top 1111
    They are the most robust mantles I have ever seen!!!

With mantles it can always happen, that there are bad charges of mantles. You could perhaps talk to the guys at Britelyt if they can send you some new mantles, because your mantles are obviously faulty

Irgendwie haben es mir die Österreichischen Hersteller angetan:
    Brünner, Ditmar, Halbaerth, Phoebus, immer her damit...

Beste Grüße

Sven

• Hi there,

otherwise it sounds to me that there remained dirtparticles in your vaporizer or mixingchamber - and they're be blown out and through your mantle - maybe you should inspect chamber and ceramik-burner and try to clean them.

Coleman mantles do not like Rapid-starting. (only a personal mark :naughty:)

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!