Frowo Monarch 350

• I am in the process of restoring this lantern. I've learned that it was manufactured for export to Canada. I'm trying to figure out the approximate years of production. I would also like to find the proper Frowo globe. Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

• Hello bluesavage,
    maybe you can give us your first name?

Now I know who bought the lamp. The Monarch was not made exclusively for Canada. It can also be found in other countries, e.g. USA, England, India. The lamp was made before the Second World War. It is roughly in the middle of the entire production period of the Monarch series.

Since you purchased the lamp in Canada, it should also have a glass with 'Monarch' embossing. However, it is much more likely that this lamp was fitted with a 'Made in Canada' glass. You can find them in the States, too.

But there were also unmarked glasses with a 'Monarch' paper sticker. If so, an unmarked glass with 'Loc-Nobs' is also correct.

Incidentally, your lamp is also missing the retaining plate on the air tube to fix the carrying handle in the vertical position.

I would like to see how you can reproduce this retaining plate.

In my opinion, there is also a need for action in the area of the Blaker and the 4 bars. But not a real problem.

Best regards

Lutz

• Hello Lutz,

My first name is Ken. The lamp is currently in my electrolysis tank for rust removal. It did not have a glass when I bought it and I plan to put an unmarked glass in it until I can find one that is embossed with 'Frowo' or 'Made in Canada'. I am not planning on removing the blaker. I will try to straighten the bars if possible. I have an old retaining plate that I may be able to use but if not it's not a problem.

I will post pictures when I am finished with the restoration.

Thank you very much for the information, it is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ken

• Hello Ken,

there are no precise documents. There is practically nothing from 'Monarch' at all.

The construction period can only be deduced from the identical FROWO No. 240 models. For the 'Monarch 350', a construction period from around the beginning of the 1930s to around 1939 is therefore possible. (beginning of the 2nd World War)

• Hello to all,

I am not a professional restorer. I do this as a hobby in my spare time. For some reason I am fascinated by these antique objects.The lamp was derusted and finished with Ballistol and several coats of Penetrol. It looks better than my cheap camera phone shows. Thanks to everyone for the information.

Best regards,

Ken

• Hello Ken,

I think your restoration is very good. All the parts have that lovely old charm. And the metal tab for clamping the carrying handle completes the lamp. These metal tabs are often missing and I have started to make them by hand. It's difficult without pressing tools and you have to think about which production steps you can take.

Here you can see in a few pictures how I make the tabs.

Best regards

Lutz

• Hello Lutz,

Thanks for the compliment. That's very interesting how you made the tabs. I have a friend that has a metal shop so if I need to make some I will use your pictures for a reference. I have many tubular lanterns but I think my favorites are the Germans. The steel is superior.

Best regards,

Ken

• Hello Ken,

Yes, you are welcome to use the pictures as a reference. Each metal tab looks a little different. But the original tabs also show slight deviations in the die-cut shape. So it's ok for me.

So far I have made about 12 of these tabs and only the best pieces will be soldered on as replacements. In the meantime, I have memorised the measurements and make them from memory. ;)

But .... I see a mistake at your restauration. I do not notice it before.
    The metal tab is attached to the wrong air pipe. On all known lamps, the metal tab is always attached to the air tube to which the retaining plate for the glass lifting wire is attached. So you would have to swap the position, then it would be correct.

Best regards

Lutz

• Hello Lutz,

Yes I attached the tab on the opposite side according to all the pictures I could find. However, there was remnants of a tab under the eyelet for the carrying handle on that air tube. I think the lamp had been restored sometime in the past, so perhaps someone before me placed it wrong or maybe it was accidentally done during manufacturing. I'm going to leave it like it is since I don't plan to sell it and I really enjoy it. Now I'm on the hunt for my next project.:prost:

Cheers and best regards!,

Ken

• Hello Ken,

As far as I know, there is always a steel thrust washer that is inserted into the openings for the carrying handle on both sides. The thrust washer on the air tube, where the retaining plate is also fitted, has a slightly larger hole than the thrust washer on the opposite side. The reason for the larger hole is that the retaining plate still has to be pressed into the hole. So if you find a thrust washer with a larger hole on a lamp, the retaining plate belongs there.

But, I agree with you, it cannot be ruled out that this was produced incorrectly at the company.

If you find another German lamp, I would be delighted if you could send me pictures of it.

Good luck

Best regards

Lutz

• Hello Lutz,

I have many German lanterns. Most are common, but this one is special to me because I think it is rare. I believe it was produced by Max Hänel of Schlettau in the 1920's, and that Herman Nier purchased his patents when Hänel went bankrupt in the later part of that decade. Apparently this one was for export to China. I welcome any corrections.

Best regards,

Ken

• Hi Sirko,

the company Mahender Singh, Hamburg exported a 'Rani No. 333' and a 'Singco No. 555' lantern but not a 'Taifun No. 222'.

The Taifun No 222 was built by Max Hänel, Schlettau. The tm 'Taifun No. 222' was granted to him in 1927.

The tm Singco 555 and Rani 333 are from 1929 and 1931.

Kind regards

Jörg