• Hello, I'm trying to find information about this Lux lantern. It has a rare Cie and Trost burner and a very old German globe. I am particularly interested in production dates. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Ken

• I have received feedback that the shape and blue tone of the glass is probably from a reproduction of various glass sizes that were offered some time ago in auctions.

This confirms my impression and the point of view that such a glass shape for 7''' lantern models did not exist in the original. The globe did not exist in the original for the lantern or otherwise in the past.

But it is correct what Melanie said - the glass comes from Germany. But not from the Deutschen Reich before '45 ..... - from the Federal Republic in the 20xx'

:-)

• There are two similar lantern, one is called Lux, the other Neolux. Both names were registered trademarks since 1901 / 1937, but not by any producer of stormlanterns (Lux did start with kerosene lanterns, but became Electrolux soon an mainly produced vacuum cleaners)

There is NO reliable evidence in the world wide net on the producer nor on the production time. The design is a mix of German and of Swiss characteristics:

The globe is German type, not the pear shape Swiss type. The globe guards are also German, the Swiss ones are all soldered.

The globe lifters confirm to Wilhelm Egloff's patent of 1907, but since the patent protection ends after 10 years, everyone could use the principle on his own lanterns.

The Lux burner is of a very common type whis was produced in both countries. The Neolux one is of the rather uncommon 'Helvetia' type, but not of the same size and of a poor quality. I own a NOS Neolux lantern of which the burner is already cracked!

Wilhelm Egloff died 1937, the production of kerosene lantern in Turgi ended in 1951.

An yes the original globe is the one on Mel's 'before' picture.