want to say thanks

• I just bought a max to use for nightfishing
    it's an old BW 829 B
    I have cleaned it in and outside and renewed all what had to be renewed .
    I could do all this only after reading this forum for a few evenings ,so many usefull tips. :applaudit:
    That's why thanks .
    It has been burning for 3.5 hours tonight in the garden without a single problem :bounce:

• Hi Borax,

at first welcome to this forum. :welcome:

Many thanks to you and many fun with your Lamp.:)

If you have any problems in the future, contact us.

Best wishes

Hartmut

Und möge das Licht mit Dir sein. ;)

• one question only,What yellowish liquid did those army types pour in their lamps?
    Tank was full and i don't know what to do with it.

• Hello,

The army type of the 829 Petromax (non-shining metall, grey, build in the 60-ties) was used in two types: The older ones use white gas or gasoline (they have a vapourizer without the round spiral at the top), the younger ones with the vapourizer with spiral use kerosine.

The german army switched from gasoline to kerosine after some boneheads blew of their army-tent by misusing a gasoline-driven petromax. :explode: This was in the 60-ties, and after this, (nearly) all petromax where converted to use kerosine and therefore got the vapourizer changed. All other stuff is identical between gasoline and kerosine. Due to this, the gasoline-vapourizers (the streight ones without spiral) are rather rare today. Some very old and not-converted lamps still have a sign that says "Nur für Benzin" (Gasoline only), the converted ones often got this plate changed with one that says "Nur für Petroleum - Verwendung von Benzin verboten" (Only for kerosine - usage of gasoline forbidden)
    (The lamps actually have a second plate that says "Bundeseigentum" (Property of the state of germany) and has the production date and the number 12-124-5746 which is the partnumber of such a lamp in the german army)

So just look at the vapourizer and you know what to fill in. Sometimes a gasoline 829 also works well on kerosine, that depends on the mantle and how well it heats the vapourizer, the vice versa (kerosine vapourizer, gas in the fund) should´ t be done as the pressure in the spiral could get too high.

As mantles the coleman 1111 work well or any other mantle with at least 400HK.

Greetings,
    Frank.

--
    Mehr Licht! (Goethe)

• Ceroxyd
    i always like it to see someone with a passion .
    And a post like yours shows one . :applaudit:

yep it's one of the converted lamps including both plates you mentioned .I will only use kerosine/petroleum with it ,don't want to experiment with it .

• Hi Enrico
    and welcome to the forums.

Indeed, you can. There is a conversion-kit available, as a lamp driven with methylated spirit (wood alcohol ) needs another mixture of air and fuel.
    You can try to use a copper tube which goes straight from the jet to the mixture tube. Drill into it a 6mm hole.

Please take in account, that a lamp with a 500 CP jet, driven on alcohol will only produce approx. 250 CP. The lamp also tends to pulsate. Therefor put a brass-mesh into the upper part of the vaporizer.

Hope, I have helped with your first questions.

Ciao,
    Wilm

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

• Hmm, ?(

I've got no Idea what's going on here, and why there is a possibility to unregistered users to post in here.#
    Except that these posts are totally out of sence - so I'm closing this thread now.

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!