Help: mantle destroyed everytime !

• Beginner need help here...

I have received my Petromax 500 two weeks ago... At first I had problems using the pre-heating device but now I got used to it. The lamp seemed to work a couple of times but now it is a catastrophy everytime...

Even though I pre-heat during 90 seconds, the mantle does not light at all, I have big flames coming out of the hood, with one metal part even becoming red... The mantle has many holes after that and I have to change it everytime. I tried to tight the ceramic part and that tube with the needle in it and what happens is even worse: after 20 seconds pre-heating, kerosene seem to suddenly arrive in the mantle and giant flames come out of the hood. Another mantle completely destroyed.

I've got only one mantle left and I'm very close to throwing my Petromax in the trash :(

• Zitat

Original von aguye
    I've got only one mantle left and I'm very close to throwing my Petromax in the trash :(

Hi there

Don't do that! I'll give you my adress :naughty:

But seriously: did you check all the connections at the lamp?
    Is it hermetically sealed? Check all packings before you try to heat it again!
    Perhaps this may help you.

Gruß vom Largo aus dem südlichen Süden

**** et lux perpetua luceat eis ****

• Hello aguye,

dont worry, keep smooth.
    We will get it.

at 1st don't use the pre-heater, use the pre-heat cup.

fix your last mantle.
    let it burn.
    wait if it is white.

don't pump the tank.

fill the pre-heat-cup with alcohol and light it on.
    wait if it is burned out.
    fill it a 2nd time and light it on.

after the 2nd is 2/3 burned out, close the manometer-screw, open the Vaporizor and beginn slowly to pump up the tank.

after a few pumps, the mantle will light on, not very bright.

now pump the lamp up to 2 BAR.

You will see the mantle will get round and it works.

Best Wishes

Hartmut

Und möge das Licht mit Dir sein. ;)

• Thank you very much for your help !

I tried to follow your procedure, here's what happenend (with stupid details/questions) :

>fix your last mantle.
    OK
    >let it burn.
    Put a lighter under it for 8-10 seconds and then let it burn 3-4 minutes until it has no more glowing parts
    >wait if it is white.
    More "grey" that white for me

>fill the pre-heat-cup with alcohol and light it on.
    >wait if it is burned out.
    This cannot be done with the glass on, right? Done it without the glass and without the upper part on.

>fill it a 2nd time and light it on.
    Done that and this time I put the glass and the upper part on after ingnition trying not to burn myself ;)

>after the 2nd is 2/3 burned out, close the manometer-screw,
    >open the Vaporizor and beginn slowly to pump up the tank.
    OK

>after a few pumps, the mantle will light on, not very bright.
    Yes but... also very big flames at the top !! Liquid drops (kerosene I guess) falling from the hood !!! I had to stop everything :(

Do you know what the problem could be ? Does it have to do with that famous "nipple" ? What can I do ?

At least, my last mantle still seems OK this time and has a very nice and uniform white colour :)

Thanks again for your help,

Anthony

• Hi Anthony, to fill the preheat cup with alcohol you can use this little bottle: http://www.pelam.de/product_in…=30_48_73&products_id=172 than you can let the glas and the upper parts mounted on the lantern. I think your nipple is defect. Normally the vapouriser is so hot, that the kerosene can not reach the nipple as a liquid, but if the hole in the nipple is to big, the evaporated kerosene can leave the vapouriser to fast and the liquid kerosene comes out. Please change the nipple and try it again. And be careful when you lift the upper parts from your lantern, the mantle is very sensitiv, one false move and the mantle is destroyed. Never use a defect mantle, it could happen that your glas will melt. with kind regards Jan