Only use Parrafin!

• I bought a Petromax 500 model a few years ago but ended up using a Coleman as the seals on the pump had died. After getting the bike pump adaptor from Pelam I did get it up and running but not until I had an interesting experiance.

I don't speak German but my 13 year old son does so I asked him to translate the German on the lantern and his response was, "Only use Petrol and don't use on a boat". Bit of a shame that as I live on a narrowboat but the next day I filled it with Petrol, pumped it up and put it on the riverbank while I lit it.

After watching 6 foot flames shoot out of the top I decided to get another translation.

"Do not use Petrol only use Parrafin" - Seems like that is the correct translation ;)

• Hello annoyingmouse,
    at first wellcome here in our forum. :welcome:

Zitat

"Do not use Petrol only use Parrafin"- Seems like that is the correct translation

Yes that's the correct translation.

Don's use Petrol (gas, gasolin) :explode:;)

Greetings

Hartmut

Und möge das Licht mit Dir sein. ;)

• Hello!
    The Petromax is a kerosene Lantern. For the use of gasoline there is a special carburettor(rare, not in production anymore). The flames indicate an insufficient preheating of the lamp. If warmed up correctly the air pressure drives the kerosene up the hot carb whre it vaporizes and only gas is leaving the nozzle. If you don't show patience you will have the same (flaming)experience with kerosene. Flames , smoke and nasty odor because liquid kerosene is coming out off the nozzle.Warm up(at least 60 seconds) with the burner or with the little dish.
    Good luck
    Andy

• Hello,

Additional info:

Zitat

Original von Eisenschwein
    Warm up(at least 60 seconds) with the burner or with the little dish.

With the burner ("rapid"), 60 to 90 seconds is a good starting point - it depends a little bit on the burner, some produce more heat, others less. 90 seconds should be enough.

If you are preheating with the little dish, use two of them and fill them well, this is a common mistake, one dish will not be enough with kerosene.

Greetings,
    Frank.

--
    Mehr Licht! (Goethe)