Regulating the petromax 500CP.

• Hello My name is Jesper!

Here this christmas i got a Petromax 500Cp, and the first time i fred it up, it worked quite well. But The second time, i tried using the spirit preheater. Then it went wrong.. It began burningin the top, and that was because the regulaing needle was broken.. I think it was because the turning wheel had been turned both ways and had hit the top in a bad way. Well over again, and i put a new one in the lamp. Then it worked again.. But now i had been stupid and turned the regulating screw in he top.. And the secon time i fired her this day, it began spiting out flames.. I think it was to much kerosene...

Can anyone here help me with how to adjust it to work propely? I am a bit depressed.. I i didnt think it was that difficult. : :(

• Hi Jesper,

i believe your problem is the preheating time. You´re using the spirit cup for preheating the lamp? If you´re preheating with spirit´s you don´t have to add preasure in your tank before you light the spirit. Best thing to preheat with spirit is following:

- preheat with spirit, do not close the filler cap
    - if only a few spirit is left in the cup close filler cap
    - pump up the preasure
    - after a few seconds the mantle will start to light

I hope you understand what i mean...

Regards Carsten

• Correct, and the needle won't regulate anything, it is only for cleaning the nozzle.
    The Vaporizer has a valve on the lower end inside the fueltank, so when you're shutting off your lamp, there is still fuel and pressure inside the vaporizer. It takes some seconds to stop the fuel rinsing. :juggle:

Looks like preheating was too short. Carstens way is the safer variety :done:

Good luck for your next try and welcome here :welcome:

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Benz-ihn ()

• Hi again!

Okay! So th needle in the top that is shunted up and down when turning the wheel is only for cleaning?
    I didn't understad fully.. The filling cap is that whre t manometer is? Thanks for the wamr wlecome bye the way.

:) Happy new year to you! :)

• Right, the needle does not shut off fuel, it is only for cleaning.
    The filler cap ment that little screw on your manometer to release pressure.
    Did you got a manual with your Lamp? Therein should be an explosion-view of your lamp, showing the technique.

When the second cup of alcohol is almost empty, close that little screw, open your Handwheel and start to pump.

Good Luck, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Hi again!

Viking i live In Denmark just as you do.

I understand what you mean now. makes perfect sense.. But Wha about the regulatorscrew in the top If that is not placed correctly, will the fuel then come out of the areal where the nozzle is placed. If the U-pipe in the top is not opened enough? Understand what i mean? :)

• Hej Jesper!

Mit dansk er ikke godt, selvom jeg er 30 år, er allerede med dig ferie. Det er derfor, jeg skriver det på engelsk.

I know what you mean. Maybe Flemming can help you in danske. The "U- pipe" must in the correct height over the nozzle. You got the petromax key? This tool can help you to find the correct height. But it is not the reason about the flames i believe.

Mange hilsener Carsten

• Hi again!

When i returned home late night yesterday, the kerosene was all over the place.. All around the lamp. I could se that it has been comin out of the top of the lamp i think it is from the nozzle. But i opened the filler cap, and a little bit of pressure blowed out. Not very much. But does this help in finding out what the problem is? :)

Venlig hilsen Jesper.

• Hej,

now i believe we found your problem. While the kerosene comes out, was your handwheel that controls the needle up or down? In case it was up, i think the generator gasket in the tank is out of order. You have to dissamble the generator and change the gasket.

Regards Carsten

Hope you understand what i mean...

• Hej Jesper,

the part number is 193.

Regards Carsten

• I think I have found another solution my self. The air-release-nozzle on the manometer, is some of the problem. What happen to me, I think is, that I forgot to let out the pressure thatt steadly builded up afterwards fire up, and since the blue handle was down some of the petroleum ran out and onto the table. The thing that happen earlier is that, as you said, it wasn't hot enough, and flames came out of the top.

Just so you know! For the future im going to preheat it properly and Take my safety precautions. So that it don't cause a lot of problems. Thanks for your help.

• Hi Jesper,

so does it work? You´re right, the air release nozzle could be a problem too.

Regards Carsten

• Hi again!

I have not tried. Because of alot of snow and cold in my garden, i hope it works next time, but it think it was the preheating time. First time i used rapid second(went wrong) time i used spirits.. but i warmed up inside and used spirit 2 times i a rov. So i was suprised, it wasn't hot enough.

Best regards Jesper K. Jørgensen :prost:

• Hi

Remember also when lighting your petromax in very cold conditions to allow extra time for preheating...When the fuel tank is pressurized and fuel wheel is in the up position you should not lose fuel from the nozzle.. if there is a fuel leak here then it is the gasket in the fuel tank as was mentioned above...I always release pressure from tank when not in use....In very cold weather I will pre-heat for 2 minutes :done:

OCD.. Obsessive Coleman Disorder 8o