Tilley246B/500 series

• Hi this tilley 246B 500 series is abit different to the standard 246 as it has a longer burner spigot so a larger mantle so a larger mantle could be fitted this was a feature by tilley to increase the candle power there the only difference in this lantern is as mentioned above the spigot is longer and a larger mantle is used i was told by a collector that it was a bit of a con as the pressure had to be increased to around 45psi in stead of about 30psi, to be honest it is only a bit brighter than the standard 246B and quite badly engineered as the tank was not updated to cope with the extra pressure and some of the tank bottoms/base plate become convexed this one has its base plate is slightly convexed,this is proberbly why thay are no lnonger made i am going to change the spigot so it will be a standard 246B so it will be kinder for the tank and a standard mantle can be used as the 500 series mantle are hard to come by. here are a few pics of the 246B/500 series

• Hi Brian,
    interesting lamp, althoug it is a bit hard to read your post. (and not because of the accent ;) )
    It sounds a bit like a robot... :D

Back to the lamp, is the vaporizer longer than normal?
    Did they mix up parts from other lampmodels for this one?

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Hi Brian,
    interesting lamp, althoug it is a bit hard to read your post. (and not because of the accent ;) )
    It sounds a bit like a robot... :D

Back to the lamp, is the vaporizer longer than normal?
    Did they mix up parts from other lampmodels for this one?

Best regards, Björn

Hi Bjorn no all they did was change the spigot on the upper burner the piece that goes over the vapouriser just so a larger mantel can be fitted the vapouriser,it is a standard 606 vapouriser that fits all tilley storm lamps which is five inches in length/about 127mm

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Hi Bjorn no all they did was change the spigot on the upper burner the piece that goes over the vapouriser just so a larger mantel can be fitted the vapouriser,it is a standard 606 vapouriser that fits all tilley storm lamps which is five inches in length/about 127mm

Hey Brian

Bjorn just called ya a robot :rofl: WARNING!..these German guy's dont hold back....A little forward they are!
    :whistling:

Another nice lantern Brian....have you many lanterns???

OCD.. Obsessive Coleman Disorder 8o

• I didn't want to be offensive, it is just that reading is really hard with that kind of typing. :wacko:

So they just changed the spigot, thats all to make a 500HK-Lamp from it ... OK, now I got what you've mentioned with "badly engineered".

But still a nice and rare lamp, of course.

Best regards, Björn

God created men.

• Bjorn..yes we know that ..I am a terrible typist...forgive my Irish sense of humor... :strange:

• Hi guys no offence taken its all great fun i must admit even though i am english i am not the greatest of writing lol,my main collection is of classic camping stoves, i have three lanterns at present a tilley guardsman which is in the post from a ebay seller, so thats the bialaddin and tilley which are shown on here a petromaxHk500 i brought from the petromax main site a tilley guardsman once it arrives the petromax is in parts for the last couple of years as i had to strip it down beacause it started to run bad very dim and flames comming from out of the mantle i will get around to restoring it shortly

i have a bialaddin bowlfire i am serviceing at the moment just waiting on a set of viton seals to arrive i will upload some images of that shortly

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von brian1967 ()

• ;) no problem...

By the way, I've got an old Tilley guardsman (brass and brown enamel from the 1950ies) - what should I say, she takes all sorts of fuel...(didn't try coal by now)
    She reminds me of an english girlfriend I had 'bout 12 years ago or so... :trink:
    Not a beauty but working reliable. :rauch: (The lamp, not the girl)
    So I do own a british lamp as well - but one is enough to me :D

Now you know my german kind of humor, a bit diry, I guess... :whistling:
    Best regards, Björn

God created men.

• :rofl:

Women are very like lanterns :frau:

My Mrs is like an S.M.P. model if you dont pre-heat her generator first they might be poor results :naughty:

Brian..

Thank god for spell check otherwise no one would understand me...my spelling is brutal...and its getting worse as I get older!! :rolleyes:

Maybe to much of this over the years :hicks: