HK 500 Bursts into flames

• I have a Petromax HK500 lantern.

The lantern bleeds fuel from the needle valve when ever the fuel chamber is pressurised.
    This means that, when lighting the lantern, as the fuel chamber is pumped and the preheater is lit fuel starts to drip from the needle valve flooding the top of the lantern with burning fuel. at this point the pressure relief valve on the Manometer needs to be released and the burning fuel moped up.

All very distressing.
    I have changed the Needle valve for the spare. I and cleaned out the hole in the spray nozzle. I have filtered the fuel.

At the moment the lantern is dangerous to use, what am I doing wrong?

Yours

Simes

Schooner in Cowes, UK

• Hello and welcome Simes,

sounds like the valve at the bottom of the carburettor doesn't close correctly. You can try to start the latern softly with Ethanol. Therefor you close the valve on the Manometer, open the handwheel, fill that dish with the little pipe with Ethanol and light it. When it is almoste empty start to pump pressure in the fuel chamber and it will be light. At cold days or nights it is possible nessesary to preheat several times that way before starting to pump.

If the latern works correctly now, you can be sure it's the valve.

Best regards,
    Stephan

• Hello Simes,

seems that the carburettor valve (196)(located at the bottom of the carb assy is stuck /worn or has a malfunction)
    This spring loaded valve carries a rubber insert sealing the upstream carb during pre heating with the build-in pressure heater unit.
    When lighting up the lantern with a twist of the contriol knob the valve gets pushed down by a rod allowing the petrol to enter the carb.
    Hope the two att. come through for clarification.
    The needle is not intended to seal the carb during pressure pre-heat.

To get hold of the valve you have to disassemble the carb unit from the tank body. Unscrew the valve (should be a slot in there), the part causing the problem is (193). Either get a replacement part or punch out a small rubber insert to fit in. Another varinat has a small rubber o-ring fitted....

hope this is of help for you.....

cheers
    Thomas