Opinions on Swedish lanterns

• Hello everyone,

This is my FIRST posting on this site. I've been a collector/restorer for several years now and my favorite lanterns have become all of the European kerosene burners. Now I now everyone has their opinion as to which make is "The Best". I have mine as well. My question is which of the Swedish manufacturers do you feel built the best lantern with respect to design and quality.

Bob

• Hi Bob!
    Herzlich Willkommen!
    Nice to see you here! In my opinion, they are all build in very good quality. Only the Optimus 1551 is a poor made chinese one. unfortunaly I can´t say anything to Radius, because I have no one...
    My Primus works fine, but the look is not more so well ;)

P.S.: Did you get your 829B?

• Hi Leo,

Thanks for your welcome and opinion. No, the 829Bs are still "in transit". I expect them somewhere around the 25th of this month. Packages it seems take about 30 days to get here. The DHL tracking only shows that they have left Germany. I have learned to be PATIENT. I will be posting images once I get them.

Did the mantles work OK on your lamp?

Bob

• Zitat

Original von Bob MMy question is which of the Swedish manufacturers do you feel built the best lantern with respect to design and quality.

Hi, Bob! :welcome:

The design seems to me a matter of taste! :juggle:
    In question of quality and reliability the Radius lantens (# 115,118,119 and 120) are my favourites.

Best regards, Gerald

Die wahren Lebenskünstler sind bereits glücklich, wenn sie nicht unglücklich sind. (Jean Anouilh)

• Optimus, Primus and Radius

With the old ones "Made in Schweden" there is no problems - all very well build and very long lasting.

I have several Optimus 1350 (350 CP) from the fifties, and 2 of them have had a very hard living, but is still burning as champs.

But the new ones made in Far East - as Leo told you about the Optimus 1551 - thats not the old ones !!!

• I acquired a 1551 about a year ago. It was never fired. I was amazed how the Chinese cheapened the lantern. The all steel construction lead to me doing a POR-15 Tank Sealer coating on the entire inside of the fount to prevent any rust from forming. The stamped pump cap is a disappointment. It burns OK but the plating on the vent started popping into "pimples" after the 1st burn. Then it began to rust at those places. It surely doesn't fall into the class of all my other REAL Optimus. Still looking for a 1550.

My only Radius is a 119 "military" with the so called cook top. I have heard that you would be VERY hungry waiting for your dinner to cook on top. It was never fired when I got it. Marvelous piece! Flawless operation.

Bob