Vapourizer Red Hot

• Is it normal for the vapourizer to be glowing red hot? Does the metal get thinner from heating and cooling constantly? In general how long does the vapourizer last? Thanks ,anyone?

...and he guided them with the SUN by day and a PETROMAX by night......Mysticman030

• In generally, a vaporizer should last lifelong... / or as long as the lamp.

Where is it glowing? Is it the winding? It should not, but some seems to do it, i have one lamp of myself, doing that.
    It can happen when your mantle formed out close to the vaporizer-winding, or when your mantle has got holes - if it has holes, change it emideately, this could dissolder your vaporizer.

Hope this helps, best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Benz-ihn ()

• There is no hole ,but that piece which coils around the mantle gets red hot,after it s been running a long time. How many have you heard of that gets red like this? thanks.

...and he guided them with the SUN by day and a PETROMAX by night......Mysticman030

• Hi :)

The red-glowing is a tricky thing. Some of my lamps are doing this.
    I think thats a problem of the "new" paraffin-fuel. It burnes to hot!
    The old Fuel, the Laps are made for, was near like gasoline.
    Most lamps which runs on gasoline (benzin) havn't this problem. Because the gasoline (benzin) burnes not so hot.
    Before you run the lamp with gasoline, the rubber's must be changed into viton! (User: "Frei's Petrollampen" can give it to you)

- Maybe your Nozzle-hole is to big an the Laps burnes to hot.
    - Control the Mixing tube setting.
    - Use a pressure between 1 and 1.5 bar thats absolutely enough!

Mein größtes Spielzeug:
    MAN KAT1 5t mil glw - 12,7 Liter V8 DIESEL

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Jonas ()

• Thanks Jonas, for answering my questions. Iwill pay attention to the air and vapour mixture. Also the nozzle,though it does not appear to be worn. Permit me to ask another question. Has anyone observed the presence of a beautiful little blue flame around the mantle, when it's at full trottle? It resembles a( Halo).your feedback is appreciated. M....030

• Hi

There should not be a flame outside the Mantle.
    You can say "Aura / Corona" to the flame outside the Mantle.
    I think the aura is your problem with the red-glowing vapourizer because the vapourizer become to hot!

Some things can be the cause for the problem with the "Aura".

- mixing tube setting / the paddel in the mixing tube
    - the mantle is to small
    - the hole in the nozzle become to big

Which lamp do you have?

Mein größtes Spielzeug:

• Corona is fine beer,but I prefer Stella Atois. :-) So maybe my lantern has to much power. It is a Petromax by design,but not an original.This clone was manufactured in the far east for a company based in the U.S. Techinally it is comparable ,but it lacks a bit of that Quality. I have been relentless in refining the lamp as best possible.photos will be available soon. This one has a stainless steel nozzle. Many thanks ,m...030

• Hi

Wow i never heard about a stainless steel nozzle 8o
    Normal they are made of brass. (Because of the same expansion from nozzle ans vapourizer. Stainless steel has another expansion like brass.)
    Or is the vapourizer made of stainless steel to, like the nozzle?
    Can you please take a picture of it?

So maybe you have to change the nozzle, if nothing else of the other settings can fix your problem...

Edit:

I have seen where you come from...hui, nice...! Is there a Petromax dealer on Granada? If not, do you have problems to get spare parts?

Mein größtes Spielzeug:

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Jonas ()

• Thank you, on the island is where i grew up,but I'm currently living in Toronto Canada. No dealer in Grenada, none in Canada either. When I say nozzle I mean the part which the mantle ties on to.(part brass part stainless)connected to the mixing tube. That nozzle also glows red. Does ceramic glow? It makes sense about the jet in # 50 being to big. I'll post pictures soon.

• Oh, when you say nozzle, we were thinking about the injektor...

It is absolutely normal when the burner (Nozzle) anyway ceramic or stainless steel and also the mixingchamber are glowing red - only the upper part of the mixingtube should not glow red - this would mean it is too high placed and the mixture is not "fat" enough...

This parts are ok when glowing :done:

Beast regards, Björn

God created men.

• Yea,my mistake. I've got to learn all these parts numbers. I feel a lot better knowing that those pieces can get red also. Im always looking for more power ,but sometimes less is more. Also it would be a blessing being able to use the hand wheel to control light output ( high or low) not just on or off. Agree? Thx. Again Jonas and Bjorn M...030

• Hi

Thats why we have the forum ;)

The handweel is not for light output control. Just on or off!

If you want less power, you have to change nozzle + needle.
    Maybe the Mantle if you change from 500 down to 250 H.K.

If you need parts, i think its no problem to send you some :)

Mein größtes Spielzeug:

• Will let you know when I need parts. Definitely gonna get an original Petromax though.
    I can clearly see some differences in the quality of the knobs and such.
    Already looked at them in pelam store, but have issues with the plus ,plus,plus.
    Question: The gen foot valve(in tank) have you heard any stories where the spring broke and valve would not shut off fuel supply? Also the one way check valve in hand pump, same question.
    Thx.again.

• Normaly the springs in the valves didn't break! I never heard about it :rolleyes:
    Most times, the rubber is to old and hard. So the valve didn't close.
    If that's the problem, you need an new rubber for the hand-punp valve.
    You have to unscrew the valve and put in a new rubber.
    For the Vapourizer-valve in tank you need a new brass-body with intigrated rubber. User "Frei's Petrollampen" can give you the best rubbers for your lamp. You can use his rubbers for paraffin + gasoline fuel! The normal ones from shop are only for paraffin.
    If you want change the valves you also need new lead-rings!
    Please look at the pelam-shop about the details. There you can find pictures of the parts.

I can give you pictures of all the "operations" you have to do.
    Say if you want do it.

If you want a original Petromax "Made in Germany", buy a NOS BW-Petromax 829 (Bundeswehr / Army - version) Type: 829B

The Petromax lamps from shop are "patented in germany" and "made in china". Not a bad qualitiy, but the old ones are better ;) .

Hope that helps. :)

Mein größtes Spielzeug:

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Jonas ()

• I read you loud and clear.
    That's all good to know.
    Pictures will be posted over the weekend.
    No problem with valves ,just curious. :merci:

• Hi Mysticman,

the only valve-spring i found broken once, was from a lamp built in the 1920ies! :naughty:

Yeah, this lamps are (/can make you) courious, you have to clear out the picture of a lantern and build up the picture of a light-machine :done:

Every part of it is sparepart and can be replaced.
    It needs work, shure, but the output es higher than any ordinary lamp, so it is worth working a bit sometimes :applaudit:

Best regards, Björn

God created men.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Benz-ihn ()

• Yes it is a Coleman # 95 mantle , in a 500 cp.Petromax clone.
    It generates about 20% more light than our classic Petromax mantles.(when used in the Petromax)
    But a huge drawback is the heat. Maybe 100% hotter.
    I've had it running on kero, deisel and naptha.
    After 3.5 hrs. had to submerge the entire font in water, you can see the bowl of water nearby.
    Just experimenting. NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE SHOULD TRY THIS.
    Please feel free to comment. Thanks, m...030

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mysticman030 ()

• ...and he guided them with the SUN by day and a PETROMAX by night......Mysticman030