Use of "bio" fuels with Petromax pressure lamps.

• Hi!

Petromax recommend their Alkan product as fuel:

http://www.petromax.de/website…images_zubehoer/Alkan.jpg.

However, I cannot find the actual components of this fuel on the site - just the picture!

Types of fuel which can be used with the Petromax HK 500 range widely from jet oil to diesel, even gasoline or petrol (whichever name is used for the stuff which cars run on and isn't diesel).

I assume Alkan is a purified kerosene or paraffin. Does anyone know (1)?

This vegetable or "bio" product from Denmark is quite new:

XXX (there is also an outdoor variant).

However, even Agowa cannot tell me if it works in pressure lamps. They "think" it "probably" can. Not impressive.

However, the lack of fumes from the oil may mean the HK500 can be used indoors, if the oil works. Has anyone tried it (2)? I will be getting some for ordinary hurricane lamps, but will be starting my new HK500 with Alkan (as this product presumably cannot backfire). I will then maybe briefly try the Agowa product, to see what happens.

I bought my HK500 from XXX who, when asked, stated the HK500 should not be used indoors because of "dangerous fumes". Does anyone know what is being talked about here: carbon monoxide or explosive gases (3)? Both (3)? I note Tilley lamps are advertised as being used indoors at home:

XXX

There seems to be a contradiction here!

Any answers to or clues arising from my three questions, (1), (2) and (3) above, would be greatly enjoyed.

Regards,

William Lambton,

Ireland (10Nov11).

[Hi William,
    :welcome:
    I'm sorry for editing your thread, but commercial links are not allowed in this forum.
    I hope the following threads can answer your questions, anyway.
    Best regards, Björn]

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Benz-ihn ()

• Welcome to the forums, William!
    Truth is you rarely see retailers advertise products for use for indoors because they don't want to make themselves liable. On top of that they rarely have any reliable data on how dangerous indoor use is. Heck, if I'd be a retailer I'd refrain from advertising my products for indoor use, too.
    That said it is perfectly possible to run your Petromax indoors. As you normally run Petromaxes with kerosene (in German: petroleum) there will be virtually no explosive gases.
    The problem is, as you already mentioned, with carbon monoxide. I refrain to run my Petromax indoors for a prolonged period because carbon monoxide always builds up. Your best bet is to ventilate regularly or - even better - have a window leaned slightly open at all times to allow for fresh air coming in. Fresh air is the best way to stop carbon monoxide building up.

Pelam Alkan is labeled as purified paraffin. It is kerosene just with a different name.

The second lamp oil you mention, Agowa, is not meant to be burned in our Petromaxes. It can be burned and it has been used with success. However vegetable-derived oil will always clog up the vaporizer faster than with kerosene. In terms of indoor use it is not better than generic kerosene.

Regards, Dietmar

• Welcome here, William :welcome:

The use of an pressure Lantern indoors is always a thing You should know what You do.
    Make sure there's a possibility of air exchange. Also choose an clean fuel due reduce the possibility of toxic combustion products.

The problem with the vegetable oil is that this not complete vaporize. Some of the fuel components crack in the vaporizer and will clog it in a short time. Like Didi already wrote.

Regards,
    Rüdiger

Gruß Rüdiger [iogear1]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erst eine PX500 BW, jetzt Ʃ14805HK + Ʃ39,7kW + Ʃ173''.... mol seehn wat noch kimmt :whistling:

• Hi William

Good to have another Irish man here...these Germans are ganging up on me :strange:

:welcome:

As for the fuel....its a tricky one....Im going to convert my petromax to take standard unleaded buy changing the gaskets etc...and my older Colemans run on CF fuel which is about 11eur for 1lt ;( ...have tried different fuels but with no results...as the guys said with the bio stuff it can cause other problems...

OCD.. Obsessive Coleman Disorder 8o

• Hi lampies i would personaly use the fuel the lantern was designed for bio fuel diesel i woluld take a lot longer in warming/primming and would not burn as good and would block the vapouriser/ generator with carbon a lot quicker

If the petromax is converted to use coleman fuel a lot of us collectors here in the Uk use panel wipe from motor factors or aspen4T which is a unleaded petrol with out any additives which is not as easy to buy but both products work well and is a lot cheaper than coleman fuel

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Brian

The very man :thumbsup:

This panel wipe..has it any adverse affects on paint???...Cause I normally overfill!! :rolleyes: Is it ok to use this in Coleman CF lanterns??

Coleman fuel is through the roof here...just not an option anymore!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fox0512 ()

• Hi Fox I personaly have never used panel wipe but i am a member of spiritburner a forum very simular to this forum, a lot of the members on there use panel wipe in there coleman stoves and any petrol stoves like the primus71 etc and they say it works and performs the same so if the lantern is designed for unleaded petrol then panel wipe would work fine i only have a small selection of petrol fueled stoves so i have not used it ,just in case there is any confusion with panel wipe it has to be the solvent based and it is used to clean body work prior to spraying i would not try to use cellulose thiner.
    i do believe panel wipe is naptha based like coleman fuel

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Brian

Thanks for info....I shall give it a try....this CF fuel is an outrages price :) :thumbup:

• I looked it up trough my company, that works with all sorts of biostuff. The Problem is that 90% of all types of biofuel has to be preheated, and that has to be done to a boiling temperatur, so that the carbonhydrates gets split up in smaller parts, else it won't burn. So you wouldn't be able to use the rapid preheater. But it could be done by using the spirit preheater. BUT Petromax also warns in the instructions that it can't burn colored oils. But i think may be able by using palm oil or rapeseed oil. The are thin.. And boils easily.

I don't have an answer, but i think that i could be fun trying one day. I think i will try boiling the oil first, and then cool it down, and put it on and then tyr it out. :prost:

best Regards Jesper.

• Rapeseed oil has already been tried with horrendous results. But if you want to see that for yourself go ahead—I can't stop you, can I?

Regards, Dietmar