Sound of a steam train

• Hello everybody,
    I 've got a petromax CP500 for a year now (bought it brand new)
    sometimes I burn the lamp sometimes it sounds like an approaching steam train instead of the normal continuous (monotonous) gas spray sound.
    can anyone tell me how come?
    Maybe the hole of the spray nozzle (50) worn out????

• Hello Ewald,
    normally petromax-Lanterns do have a permanent sound, this what you describes sounds to me like a "flashback". The flame strikes back into the mixingtube, what comes along with a reduktion of light and a red glowing mixingtube, what can be harmful to your lamp.

Could this be? I think not that the nozzle is worn out, this happens not that often.

Are there any other things that happen when the sound changes?

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• No, the mixing tube is not becoming red hot, I had that problem with an old Hipolito lantern.
    But the light is slightly flikkering in the same ritm of that steam train sound.
    Also it comes and disappeares, strange isn't it.

• Hm, souns like "Leidenfrost"-syndrome, a possibility is a vaporizer with too many coal-remainings appearing after many hours of use)
    or a too clean vaporizer, there it would help to place in a brass gaouse packing around the vaporizer-needlebar.

Brass gause you should recieve in a hardwarestore, just a small plate, wound around the needlebar and placd back insinde the vaporuzer will stop this effekt.

Good luck, Björn :done:

God created men.

• The first option seems to me not the issue, the lamp is brand new and I do not burn it every day.
    The second option seems plausible.
    But can you be more specific, I do not really understand all you were explaining.
    The brass gause I understand is a brass foil. and after that I lost you, sorry.

But if the vaporizer is too clean would this phenomenon disappear when I burn the lamp more often so the vaporizer will become less clean??

• Yes, i know this phenomen from my own lamps. When i replace a vaporizer after cleaning, i have sometimes tha same happening as you described.

Tha lamp is pulsating and makes a pumping noise.

After some hours, it is gone, as coalpartikles remaining on the inside of the vaporizer, making a wider surface what results in a better vaporization - nothing else would do the brass gause.

So if it does not disturb you too much, it coud be that in a few hours it would be gone.

Best regards, Björn

God created men.

• Hi Ewald,

I think Björn meens the Brass-Gaze, i don`t know the English word of that.

You must put the Gaze in the carebuator on the top directly behind the nozzle.

That`s an aid for the carebuating the petrol and you have an perfekt light.

Best regards
    Michl

Der vernünftige Mensch passt sich der Welt an,
    der unvernünftige versucht hartnäckig, die Welt dazu zu bewegen, dass sie sich ihm anpasst.
    Deshalb hängt aller Fortschritt vom unvernünftigen Menschen ab.
    George Bernard Shaw

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Lufthanseat02 ()