Cleaning Generators (Optimus 930)

• hi there,

I have noticed there is alot of big black flakes of carbon coming off the cleaning rod in my lantern, and i think the inside walls of the generator must be in similar condition. How do you guys clean out your generators? thankyou for your replies.

Joe

• Hi,
    I clean my generator with hot citric acid. I let him lie in 2-3 hours. Then I use compressed air to blow out the Carbon peaces.

That should help.

Greetings
    Michael J.

• For anyone else looking for an answer to this. I tried a citric acid soak for 2 hours and used a pipe cleaner to clean the inside tube of the generator. It didnt clean the carbon off the cleaning rod very well. Perhaps it needed longer soaking, i used a pot cleaner to scrape off the remaining carbon on the rod. The citric acid mix i used was 1teaspoon of citric acid powder and 1litre of water.

I did hear of a few other methods - antichalk tablet / limescale remover, and acetone. Acetone sounds promising i know my wife uses it to remove nail polish so kind of makes sense it could move carbon.

• Joe,

you have to use concentrated citirc-acid or caustic-soda. 1 tee-spoon for a liter is too less. You should take at least 10-15 odinary spoons of citiric-acid at 1 l.

When the generator got a bit red, because the nickel in the brass will be removed, you're done.
    Rinse the generator after that in detergent, otherwise is will stay sticky.

If you recognize, that the preheating will take longer than usual, the generator-coil is clogged. For this, use an old bowden cable to clean that one mechanically.

HTH

BR,
    Wilm

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses