Alcohol with gasoline (Benzin) preheater?

• Hi all, Petromax fans.
    Is it possible to use Alcohol/Spirit in my 50years old BW Petromax (I bought recently) equiped with gasoline (Benzin) preheater? I know there is a Spirit/Methanol conversion kit, but considering the preheater has no helix, is it really necessary to do any modifications? I could just try and see, but as my lamp is my first and only preassure lamp, may be it's better to ask before...
    Best regards
    Jan

• Don't use alcohol.
    All my Petromax and Geniol Lanterns burn and light best with gasoline.

I used Alcohol in a Geniol 250 from the swiss army for a while. But I have come to the conclusion that the lamp lights best with gasoline.

But: You can of course use alcohol. You only have to do 2 modifications.
    The vaporizer (preheater, als you call it) must be stuffed with a material that helps to vaporize the alcohol.
    It can be glas-fibre caulking strip (from a wood burning stove) or fine brass gauze (messing Gaze)
    Then the Nozzle has to be expanded. The tiny little hole has to be widened to about 0.4mm.
    After these modifications the lamp will very likely light brightly.

But as I said: In my opinion, the lamp will light best with gasoline.

Irgendwie haben es mir die Österreichischen Hersteller angetan:
    Brünner, Ditmar, Halbaerth, Phoebus, immer her damit...

Beste Grüße

Sven

• The reason I am thinking about alcohol is because of odor and fouling. Occasionally I would like to run the lamp indoor. Just for limited time, it's quite large hall with good ventilation. Just before a while I tried to light up with alcohol, but I failed. The preheating with rapid preheater was somehow difficult, but more important I was unable to ignite the flame inside the mantle. I have no brass gauze yet and original 500 HK aperture is still in use. I was preheating the straight vaporiser (yes, this is the proper name of this item) 60,80 or 90 second with different preassures, then I switch the wheel arrow down and despite the effort the flame inside the mantle didnt start. The alcohol was sure vaporised, because I was able to hear distinct hissing and no liquid was going out the jet. Perhaps also the air mixture should be adjusted. I will try the Pelam conversion kit and will see what happen. Best regards. Jan.

• When a Petromax is tuned well it does not smell in any way.
    No matter if you use alcohol, gasoline or kerosene.
    The only two occasions a Petromax smells is, when you start it, and when you turn it off.
    Also a Petromax with Alcohol in the fuel tank will smell a tiny bit, when you start it, and when you turn it off.

So:
    Start it outside, carry it into the house, after that, carry it out and switch it off.

Many of the users of this forum burn petromax lanterns inside the house (me too). None of them died till now.
    But you should know your lantern very well. And it MUST be technically perfect!!!

Irgendwie haben es mir die Österreichischen Hersteller angetan:
    Brünner, Ditmar, Halbaerth, Phoebus, immer her damit...

Beste Grüße

Sven

• Hi Janz Sven is 100% corect any stove lamp heater that uses benzine kerosene etc that is well maintained and in good working order and the fuel is clean and not contaminated will only give off odour when its is first lit or when it is turned off.These lamps are made for indoor use as well as outdoor use

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn: