828 Rapid, pre-heater maintenance

• Hello,

I found a red-top 828 Rapid with a preheater torch of "Löffelrapid" type (is there an English name for that?). The lantern seems otherwise to be a promising restauration project, but it's letting the pressure out from the preheater torch: more accurately the nozzle can't be blocked well enough to keep the pressure in. Do you have any tips I should try? I haven't disassembled it yet, as it seems to be well stuck and I'm worried if using force could broke something. Are the current preheater spares suitable for this "löffelrapid" variation?

• Hi,

are you have pictures from the lamp and the Rapid?

be aware for the Löffelrapid, they can broken if you use force.

It is easyler way to replace the complete Rapid assembly and you can mount the Löffelrapid.
    You can remove the top nut from the rapid assembly and remove the Löffelrapid (spoonrapid).
    Than you can remove the complete Rapidassmbly and replace it.

I hope you understand my bad English, reading is for me better.

Good luck for your restaurition projekt

Grettings

Michl

Der vernünftige Mensch passt sich der Welt an,
    der unvernünftige versucht hartnäckig, die Welt dazu zu bewegen, dass sie sich ihm anpasst.
    Deshalb hängt aller Fortschritt vom unvernünftigen Menschen ab.
    George Bernard Shaw

• Hi and thanks for the reply! I will try to take some pictures soon, after I have cleaned it a little bit.

Overall condition is OK but it has some minor corrosion, the handle is bad and tank has taken couple of small hits.
    I think it's probably fully original, it has a tank marked with EG, a two-color needle knob, a separate manometer and an original Jenaer glass.

This is the first Rapid model I have ever had. I don't know if the spoon alone should be able to hold the pressure (I don't see any gasket there), or how it is supposed to work?

I would like to keep the original rapid if possible, for the looks and originality, but if it is unusable, I may have to replace it. This model does not have a spirits cup.

Have a nice day!

• Ok,

i have add a picture from the spoonrapid from my PX 2827.

You can see that is a gasketholder at the top of the rapid, i hope you can see.

This gasket lock the hole thats no pressure loss and petrol is comming out.

Here is the Pic:
    Lffelrapid.jpg

Greetings
    Michl

Der vernünftige Mensch passt sich der Welt an,
    der unvernünftige versucht hartnäckig, die Welt dazu zu bewegen, dass sie sich ihm anpasst.
    Deshalb hängt aller Fortschritt vom unvernünftigen Menschen ab.
    George Bernard Shaw

• Hi there,

ordinary the Rapid-gasket is placed in a little brass tin, screwed to the spoonrapid. I've found some gaskets in lamps, that look like improvised, made from led, cork (could be original), or almost any kinds of rubber.

And this is, what ordinary gaskets for Rapids are made of, rubber.
    Dodays rapid-parts should fit to the old Rapids, except that Rapid-gaskets, untill the end of european Petromax-production ('70ies), are a little shorter in measurement than the brandnew ones, made in China.

Maybe an old gasket would fit better.

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Björn, thank you for this additional info! I will take a look if I can replace the whole gasket unit with a better one, or if finding a suitable factory-made one is impossible, just try to put a better "filling" into the current one by using some suitable material, maybe a piece of rubber or something. The curernt gasket is so flat and hardened it's no wonder it's not tight.

PS: another question to anybody interested: This lantern has a separate manometer, not one that is integrated with the tank cap. How unusual this is? The manometer has Petromax logo text in it, and the fixing point in the tank looks like it's factory made.

Cheers, FM

• aahm - let me say it in this way:

Your lantern is not that ordinary, collectors would watch out for one in this good conditions. It was produced in this way in the late 1920ies and early 1930ies, so ceep a good look on it :naughty:

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Zitat

Original von Benz-ihn
    aahm - let me say it in this way:

Your lantern is not that ordinary, collectors would watch out for one in this good conditions. It was produced in this way in the late 1920ies and early 1930ies, so ceep a good look on it :naughty:

Best regards, Björn

Thanks, I appreciate these old lanterns and try to maintain them respectfully. Here's a family photo of my three E&G stamped Maxes, the new red top happily together with the two earlier aquired ones: