Petromax500 problem

• Hello I am a new member on this great forum i have a problem with my petromax500 i have a flame ring that covers the outside the mantle and leads upto the hood and there are small flames that come out of the vent holes in the hood. I have turned the hand wheel to clean the nipple but has not worked i have now chnged the cleaning needle and changed the nipple and the problem is still there has made no difference can any kind member have any idea what the problem is many thanks :gaehn:

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Hi and a nice welcome to this Forum.

I think you have a problem with the nozzle.
    The nozzle must very tight, retourque the nozzle and look for complete tightnes.

When you start the lamp, make sure that the valve is closed.

Pump the lamp to the right pressure and ignite the rapid burner.
    Pre-heat the Lamp for 60 to 90 sec. and than open the valve for lightning.
    Than close the Rapid Burner.

Pump the Lamp to the right pressure and the lamp must burn very well.

Regards
    Michael

PS: sorry for my bad English

Der vernünftige Mensch passt sich der Welt an,
    der unvernünftige versucht hartnäckig, die Welt dazu zu bewegen, dass sie sich ihm anpasst.
    Deshalb hängt aller Fortschritt vom unvernünftigen Menschen ab.
    George Bernard Shaw

• Hi, Brian!

It seems, that your lantern burns "too fat".

Maybe the distance between mixing tube and nipple is not correct (too small).
    Maybe the diameter of the nippels hole is too big. It should be 0,24 mm. Older and often used nippels have a bigger diameter because they are worn-out.
    Maybe your mantle is too small.
    And your should be sure, that your lantern is well pre-heated! :D

Best regards Gerald

Die wahren Lebenskünstler sind bereits glücklich, wenn sie nicht unglücklich sind. (Jean Anouilh)

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von HerrLehmann ()

• Many thanks michael for you fast response i will try that tomorrow and i understood your english well i just wish i could speak deutch once agaim many thanks for your kind help

• Hi Gerald and thanks for your response i have checked the distance between the mixing tube and nipple with the tool supplied with the lantern and the nipple and cleaning needle was bran new supplied with the lantern but i will examine it tomorrow and may be order a few new nipples and needles many thanks gerald for your kind help