500CP "pulsating" abit

• Hello again! Now got new pelam-mantle installed, together with the stainless steel nozzle. It works perfect now, very bright light! :applaudit:
    Only thing I`ve noticed is that the light pulses a bit. Have tried the tube-adjsutements, and the air-screw. Looks like its best with 17-18mm. Is it normal that the light flashes abit, or could it be something else? I have cleaned all parts and checked for leakages, and all looks good!

EDIT: now when lamp cooled down, I took a look at the mantle, and it looks very small!! Only 3 cm in diameter! As far as I remember, it should be much larger?? White nice color but could this be wrong mantle maybe? Was ordered for the 500CP but I`m not sure..

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tredia ()

• Tredia,
    How old is this Petromax. I am only asking because if it has been used a lot it is possible that it has carbon build up somewhere internally. The only way to tell is to dismantle the lantern and see. Carbon could built up anywhere. Or if it has sat for some period of time the old kero could be not so good. Leaks are best detected by imersing the lantern in a bucket of water, although i use my kitchen sink. Sometimes a leak can only be detected by using this method, and yes a leak can cause issues. Also, are you pressurizing the lantern enough? I would think that the mantle should be a bit bigger than you described. Mabe you ordered the wrong mantle by mistake? The wrong size mantle could cause issues also. I am by no means an expert but i am sure if i have told you something wrong then the more experienced members will correct me .

Christop

• Hi,
    to answer your first question - all lanterns pulsate, some do it quick so you cant notice some do pulsate a bit even at peek performance
    if its only a slight pulse and you made sure all is tight and there are no air leaks and the distance is adjusted - could be just the the pulse that lantern has
    if its not very annoying leave it.
    as for the mantle if you dont see a flame outside the mantle (like a halo) after burning for 10min then it is the right size, mantles shrink a lot after burning
    if you use a small mantle on a 500cp lantern then you will see a halo around the mantle.