Bad Bad night!!!

• Hi steelkingdom,
    no i know that you are not angry, but in your las thread it seems, that you expect, that somebody else
    could be angry. I only would like to let you know, that nobody is angry, if someone else have an other oppion.
    The members here are verry tollerant, and accept other oppinions. That's one mor good feature of this
    forum here. Nearly nothing is taken personally. :stark:

• blimey.
    I only asked?!
    LOL
    havent time to check coleman today, maybe tomorrow(must sort it, fishing monday)
    By the way, i have no favourites, i just want a really bright lamp that works well and constantly.
    I will take both on monday where ther will be 4 or 5 fishing, i will get some opinions from the night and let all know soon.
    cheers.(great site by the way).

• Hey guys,
    I have identified the problem with the p/m. I replaced the nipple last night and got the lamp going and it worked fine, left for two hours then turned it off. I thought i would check it again tonight, got going ok but after five minutes a flame began to lick up to the top of the lamp, on closer inspection it looked as if it was leaking from the nipple nut. After letting it cool down i checked and the nipple nut had become slightly loose and also the piece the mantle is tied to had worked a little loose. Is this due to heat expansion then cooling loose and will i have to do this every time? Any body else have this problem.
    This is what happened to me first time round, with the original nipple so i can only assume this could have been the problem before.
    By the way when both were working ok the p/m seemed to be quite a bit brighter than the Coleman.

• Hello everybody,

First i would like to say that i am a Coleman Fan, i've even got more coleman lamps than Petromax.....ooops, sorry Jonas :D

The foto taken was only intended to be an indication on how bright a Kerosene powered lantern can be, compared to a petrol one.
    Nothing more.

Second,

the loosening of parts, well this happens with one lantern more often then with another.

I have 2 identical Pm 500's overhere, one never has the loosening parts problem, the other one constantly.

You could try the following; buy some exhaust sealing kit, not the holts gun-gum type, but the one that looks like toothpaste.

Smear a (very) small amounth on the thread of the nipple/jet, and on the ceramic "mantle fixture"
    Be VERY careful not to overdo it, if the stuff ends up inside the mixture chamber / vapouriser, it will do more harm then good.

I will be burning a 500 cp Petromax this night and will post a picture....

Cheers, :prost:

Marcel.

• Hi all
    Marcel good thing you have a garage to try all the lanterns I live in an apartment and burning one lantern or more outside attracts to much attention.
    I have several kerosene and petrol lanterns and it seems that the kerosene ones are a bit brighter.
    I have also tried running a Coleman both with kerosene and petrol (you can do that on the Coleman kerosene models like the 201 or the 214) and noticed when burning kerosene the lantern is a bit brighter
    I became a bit fond of kerosene lanterns as they are much safer to use when camping with a lot of children
    I could run an experiment of one of the Coleman kerosene to compare Coleman fuel and kerosene if any one is interested

• hello,

It is very well possible to use kerosene in coleman(fuel) lanterns.
    at least, with the single mantle ones (200A)

usually i use a kerosene/petrol mix.

abouth 60% kero. 40% petrol.

The only reason for this is, that the kerosene ensures a more "steady"burn, meaning the light doesn't fluctuate
    (could be a problem only my 200a has)
    and the petrol assures a quick an soot free start of the lantern.

when using 100% kerosene in my 200a i preheat the generator with a lighter(1 minute), and light the lantern without the hood and globe (outside)
    just in case it flares up, so i don't have to clean both items everytime... :tongue:

It seems that the 200A generator (and the other single mantle
    generators) has just abouth the right jet size, so the mixture air/fuel is ok.

With the 2 mantle lamps this isn't such a good idea, their mixture ratio is just way to rich, and thus they tend to only cause soot en flames...

Allthough i am open to any suggestions, for burning a double mantle Coleman on Kerosene....

Kind regards,

Marcel.

:)

p.s. @ steelkingdom

Yes i would be interested to know if there is difference between coleman fuel and kerosene in the same lantern.
    haven't got a kero. Coleman myselve......

• Zitat

Original von steelkingdom
    Hi Jürgen
    As this is a petromax fans site and not a coleman site I will not get into arguments ....

Hi steelkingdom,
    don't worry, i love both lamps, the Coleman an the Petromax. And i am not angry. :)

If you ask me which lamp i prefer? So i would like to say that the Aladdin mantle lamp is my favorite. :)

ps. Please do not hesitate to tell us your opinions, it is also allowed in this forum to discuss about lamps from other manufacturers.

fröhliches Leuchten
    Jürgen

"Die Zukunft sollte man nicht vorhersehen wollen, sondern möglich machen"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

• Hi Rabbit,
    as i told you before, always check that the Nipple, the nozzle and the burningchamber are tietened.
    To fix the nozzle and burningchamber by exaust kit is usual, and solve the loosening problem. But put it only
    at the middle of the winding from mixingtube, and carefully at the last winding at the border of the nozzle.
    There you can use a little bit more, then nothing comes inside the burningchamber. After fixing the nozzle,
    you get it clean by using the finger arround the nozzle-burninchamber. The nipple you can also fix with the
    exaust kit. But even use it only carefully from outside the nipple at the nut. Only thing you have to control always
    before starting the Lamp, is the distance between nipple and Mixingtube. Good luck, and much fun. :hail: