Day Lite trouble

• Hi all,

I have a Day Lite pressure lantern that looks quite like a Petromax...same height, same Rapid heater...it was bought in Italy by a friend of mine...and used for a while...

I've got it burning but, I'm still not sure if it's a 500CP version...with a 500cp mantle it burns fiercely, extremely bright and hot...
    I don't think it's normal that a halo of transparent flame should be burning on the outside of the mantle...you can also hear something I call 'hunting'...or a kind of resonating vaporization...
    I'll try it again with a 300cp mantle otherwise...fuel used is kerosene...

Any Idea's?

Cheers!

• Normally the halo disappears after a few minutes. If not, check if the mixing chamber, the burner or nozzel is quite fixed. It's a well known problem with the permanent loosening after each use, this can be solved by using exhauster repair paste. :stark:

Using a CP350 lamp with mantles for a CP500 wil not lead to problems, only the ilumination will be is reduced. But holes in the mantles can cause terrible destructions to the lamp. Therefore ist important to check the mantles before using.

fröhliches Leuchten
    Jürgen

"Die Zukunft sollte man nicht vorhersehen wollen, sondern möglich machen"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

• Thanks for the info Jûrgen,

I added a 350cp mantle now and I will try the latern tonight...so that I can see if anything goes wrong...the nozzle is secure and all is clean for the next start :D

The halo with the 500cp mantle stayed there and got worse during the 10 minutes that I left the latern burning...and that's a bit too long I think..The mantle was well shaped after burning it down and no holes were detected...the pressure was also ok during the burn... ?(

Cheers!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Toothless ()

• Hi all,
    My Day Lite burns better now with a 350cp mantle...I also had the Rapid heater going again...and the pressure meter is now completely restored...
    Still it burns with a fierce, faint flame that licks the top of the lantern...the U shaped mixing tube is red hot too...and some green as well from the copper being burnt away I presume...
    I don't know if all this is normal...any info will do :]
    Check this small movie of the problem...it might "shine some light" on the things mentioned above... :D

MOVIE...(Windows .WMV format...if MAC Quicktime is needed let me know)

Cheers!

• Hi Touthless

Welcome in the pelam Forum.

The Range between 400 and 500 is not big. The mantle sizes are measured in 300-400cp and 500-600cp.

A mantle that is too big, never has a corona. CP500 is the biggest size for such lamps. You lantern much by a cp500 or either a cp 350.

There might be a corona if you stick cp350 mantle on a cp500 lamp.

Even if there would be a Corona around the mantle, it would disappear after a few minutes.

Have a look if you carburettor top is blocked with charcoal. You can find the construction plan of the Daylite lantern in the Download section of www.pelam.de.

Regards Jonas

Ps: at the moment we have a problem with our server, so do not wonder when the main page is so slow.

• :DIndeed Jonas,

There's some trouble with the server...
    Your explanation make's sense....a 500cp mantle should work in the end...I will fit one as soon as this one is worn out...I've lit the lantern again tonight and it settles down reasonably...this means that there's still some small flaming after 1,5 hours...but...indeed too much gas is generated for the 300 or something mantle maybe...
    I received a Day Lite instruction manual from Alan ....

Still...it's hard to get things going right after all...I ordered some bits and pieces from your site...I presume they will arrive next week ...no?
    (Order Nr: 945...)

Still explaining to the girlfriend and friends why I sometimes sit outside watching my lantern burning ;)...they just don't get it :D

PS: definitly some server trouble...I posted this reply before your answer?....hhhmmm...wicked!

Cheers!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Toothless ()

• Hi Toothless,
    I have seen the movie.
    Wow, the Lamp burns very powerful. :D

But the flames in the hood are not normal. ;(
    I think, the gas flow takes too much air to the mixing tube.
    Have a look to the distance from the injector to the mixing tube an make it a little shorter.

Is it also possible, that the manometer lies?
    Try the lamp with less pressure.

Ciao

Hartmut

Und möge das Licht mit Dir sein. ;)

• Hi Toothless,
    may be the mixing chamber leaks, or try to put the burner with a little bit Holts Gum Gum (for leaking exhaustsystems),
    or the hole in the nozzle is to big. (Bye ages of using and cleaning possible) ;(

• Maxus-Minimax:
    Why should too much air lead to flames outside the mantle? Too few air yes, because then there is not enough oxygen inside the mantle to cobust the fuel completely. An old nozzle, cleaned with a needle and thereby accidentally widened, can be a reason for this as the fuel throughput is too high (happened to me... :wallbash: ). Another possibility: Maybe too high pressure blows fuel outside the mantle before it can be combusted? A too large mantle cannot be the reason, as already explained.

Regards,

Aladdin

:megaphon: Tilley X246-Ersatzteil 707 (Spigot) gesucht!

• Hi all,

I solved the problem in the end...The Day Lite latern needs genuine Petromax 500CP mantles...I fitted one and it does the trick...no more wicked halo buning thing or running too hot...
    I used coleman 500CP mantles also...but they seem to be not long enough...and that might have been it I think...

So thanks all for all info mentioned...I hope all this might solve trouble for others too...regarding a Day Lite Petromax look-a-like

Over and out! (for this thread I mean :)...

Ive

Cheers!

• Hi all,

I fitted a completely new upper section to the Day Lite latern now...a new jet and needle was added too...(all Petromax)
    All this makes it working properly now...but I found a spot where the fount is losing pressure...at the preheater base...a bad soldering must cause this...
    To avoid further costs on it, I bought a ex military Petromax...this 1965 lantern works superb !!! and came with a metal carying box...

P1.jpg

I've bought a second one too, couldn't resist it...it's never used and is in mint condition...

Cheers!