Trying to light HK500B, incomplete?

• I swapped the old "innenmantel" / "inner hood" for the version that matches with this lamp.
    The pictures should show how it looks like now.

Now, it's getting better, it will light, but the brightness is not what I remember it would be.
    I'd guess it's about as bright as a 40Watt lightbulb. It burns irregular, there's a halo around the mantle.

What could I do to improve that?

- I get black spots on the mantle, see pictures

- I've preheated for about 2 minutes with the rapid preheater

- I've adjusted the gap between the mixing chamber and the vaporizer top to 14mm according to the measuring tool.

- The vaporizer is a gasoline vaporizer, does not have the curvy tube.
    I didn't use gasoline / Benzin yet, which I might in due time

- As fuel I'm using "Wunderblitz LampenOel" which says "liquid parafin/petroleum" on the bottle -- is this the right fuel?

How to proceed?

Arno / Brie

• Hi Brie,

good you're making progress.
    I even use the Wunderblitz lampoil, on the label somewhere it says VbF AIII, that's a german standard for petrol.

It's important to use pure lamp oil, NOT any spiced oil.

See ya

Orthotiger

• I use on my Lamps normal Petroleum, and i have no pronlems with that. The black parts are there running
    the Lamp, or after turning off ? May be you used the Knob to turn it off ? Or did you unpressure the lamp ?

• The black spots showed up while lighting the lamp. The mantle was new. I've managed to remove them by burning the mantle in a gasflame -- now the mantle is "white" again. I may have also tried to turn off the lamp with the knob instead of with pressure, I can imagine that would cause the tube to cool down, when relighting it a little after some petroleum may have come out.

Does the lamp burn as bright with a "wendelvergaser" / curvy tube vaporizer as it does with the version without?

When preheating, would I see the mantle glow up and then turn the knob?

Arno

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Brie ()

• Hi Brie,
    what's about the pressure of the Lamp ? How long does it keep the pressure, if everything Krob,
    Rapid and Screw of Manometer is closed ? Will it keep the pressure for more than one Day ? That's the standard
    test, i do, before i use a new Lamp. If it keeps the pressure for more than 24 hours, than you can try it out with gasoline.

• I also had these soot spots when lighting my almost new 150 the first times. I asked here what could have gone wrong, but burning chamber and clay burner had a tight fit. The soot apperead after a while, especially when restarting the warm lamp. Seems as if too few air was aspirated as also a halo was visible around the mantle. Now things have ameliorated but I cannot tell why. By the way: Do you have the brass gauze inside of your multi-fuel vapourizer? And what happens if you increase the distance between vapourizer nozzle and mixing tube even more?

Regards,

Aladdin

:megaphon: Tilley X246-Ersatzteil 707 (Spigot) gesucht!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von aladdin ()

• It keeps pressure overnight, gasoline might be something to try. I don't have a backyard, just a balcony.

Is lighting the lamp with gasoline any different from lighting it with petroleum? I would imagine the preheating time is greatly reduced?

Arno

• Hi Arno,
    exactly, instead of 90 Secounds, i need only 45, but better try at the beginning with 60 Secounds... Its more save..