Help with a Fellboelin lamp

• Hello, and nice to meet you. This is my first post here, so please forgive any ignorance on my part.

First I'll offer a brief introduction. My name is Caleb, I'm an American, recently moved to Michigan. About three years ago I received two oil lamps from my deceased grandma, one of which was a Rayo. Several pieces were missing or broken, and after spending some time getting that Rayo sorted out, well, I was pretty knee deep in the lamp obsession by that point, hahaha. I ended up picking up an unknown oil lamp from the local thrift store for $30. Turns out its a Brenner burner. Being American, most of my experience with mantel lamps comes from Aladdins. Since Aladdins are still in production, parts are readily available. Not so for this Fellboelin lamp, especially on American soil. Luckily it has the flame spreader and a wick, which appears to be unused. I bought some (very cheap) Welsbach mantels off ebay which I believe should fit nicely. I also translated a good part of this German discussion, Gluehlichtbrenner Fellboelin , and learned I can make my own mantle hook.

But, I have a few questions remaining. First of all, I believe I should be able to use a Matador #15 chimney on this lamp. Is that correct? Will this chimney fit, and is it suitable for the high heat put out by mantle lamps? And secondly, since it is a mantle lamp, I am going to want a shade. Does anybody know what kind of shade holder I will need for this lamp? Everything I learned about Fellboelin lamps comes from this website: http://www.aladdinlamps.info/Fellboelin.html The ad at the bottom of the page here mentions a shade ring for a globe shade. Are there also shade rings for student shades? And what size fitter should it be?

Thanks for any help and it's nice to meet all of you,

– Caleb

PS. Sorry the pics aren't the greatest

• Caleb,

Are you any further along with the Fellboelin burner?

I am in Virginia and may be able to help.

Fred

Hello Fred!

Sorry to get back so late! After a few months I figured I probably wasn't gonna get a reply hahaha.

As regards the burner. There was an ebay listing for two complete fellboelin lamps (they wanted $500 for the pair, crazy). I saved the photos from that ebay listing and was able to see a type of shade holder that should work. I will attach some of the pics I saved. After that I found what seems to be the same shade holder on ebay for $17, so I believe I have that sorted out. Still waiting for it to arrive in the mail though.

The main thing I could use help with is the chimney. Do you know of any chimneys that could fit? If at all possible I would love to get the original fellboelin chimney, but chances of that seem far and few between. I'm pretty sure I could figure out a mantle hook too, but if you have any tips of replacing that, I am all ears.

Your help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your reply. Again, sorry to get back so late.

– Caleb

• Caleb,

I am happy to see you have made progress. Most of my friends use an Aladdin mantle with their Fellboelin burners. Let me look at my chimney collection and get ack to you. I can be reached at fredaprl at infionline dot net

Fred

• Caleb,

I am happy to see you have made progress. Most of my friends use an Aladdin mantle with their Fellboelin burners. Let me look at my chimney collection and get ack to you. I can be reached at fredaprl at infionline dot net

Fred

Hey Fred,

Got my shade holder in the mail today. I'm happy to say it fits! I've got some aladdin student shades that I can use with it too. Looking forward to hearing back form you on the chimney. If I can get that sorted out then I'll just need to buy the mantle and I can get this lamp going.

Thanks a lot for the help!

– Caleb

• Caleb,

Do you know which size of Fellboelin burner you have. I have a couple straight chimneys - about 49 mm in diameter - that are a snug fit with my Fellboelin burner. They would be too small for the larger version of the burner. Fred

• Fred,

I think I do need the straight chimney. When I measure though, it shows about 2 3/16 inches. Google tells me that's around 55 mm? The pictures I found on ebay show the exact same lamp though, and they have the straight chimneys.

Thanks again for the help. It would be amazing if I could get the proper chimney. I was not expecting this at all.

– Caleb