Barthel N0 160

• Guten Abend forum today i am very happy, as i have just won on ebay a Barthel N0160,for just £9.50.

Ich feel very lucky to have won it and very lucky at such a low price,as i have not seen many Deutsch made lotlampens here in the Uk.

Ich have wanted a Deutsch made lotlampen for a long while now,as all my collection are British and Swedish made and a couple of American blowtorches/lotlampens.

Ich am realy happy and looking forward to it arriveing, and restoring it and showing the forum the pictures,as all ways forum sorry for posting in English

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Hallo Brian,
    we can follow you adding a German blowtorch to your collection.
    We are collecting "Enders".
    Now we are looking forward to your fotos of a burning Lötlampe
    Barthel No 160, Made in Germany.
    :done:

Freundliche Grüße aus Bad Münstereifel
    Kiki und Karly

• Hi Kiki und Karli thank you for your compliement,the Barthel 160 arrived today here is a pic of it as it arrived.

It is a very well made and strong lotlampen,looking at the design and style ich think it was made in the 1930's.

Ich have just stripped it down ready to give it a full restoration,when i have finnished i will show the pics of the restoration and it fired up.

Many thanks forum members for any knowledge on this lotlampen it ist my first German made blowtorch/lotlampen

• Hallo Brian,
    your nice Barthel No 160 at the first moment is alike a blowtorch
    Vulcano No. 431 or an Enders 9009.
    - little tank
    - handle (Vulcano ist labeled in the grab handle)
    - Flame pipe 45°

We are looking forward to your pictures.
    Let it burn. :D
    Best regards :welcome:

PS:
    Somewhere we had seen a list to date blowtorches.
    We think the No 160 isn' t so old.
    The ruler knob is bakelite; an bakeite was used some years later.
    In the 1930th we think wood was used for the knob.
    We will search the list.

Kiki und Karly

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Kiki und Karly ()

• Hi Kiki und Karli danke for your compliement and information,ich have not seen the barthel N0 160 in the forum,i will look up the Enders 9009.

Do you know when Barthel Enders etc stopped making these benzine blowtorches/lotlampens or are they still being made

• Hallo Brian,
    The August Enders AG stopped that production in the late 1950th.
    Their blowtorches had been produced then by the Ernst Hähnel GmbH.
    Hähnel - an old manufacturer of blowtorches - produced Enders Products
    and then his own trademark Vulcano Alemania until the end of the 1960th.
    We don't know when exactely the other firms stopped their production
    of blowtorches because of the technical change to the gastorches.
    As soon as we will get any offical information of Enders, Vulcano
    or other trade names of blowtorches concerning their company history
    we will open a thread here in this forum.
    :welcome:

Kiki und Karly

• Hi Kiki und karli thank you very much for the information,It was around the 1960's that the makers of Benzine and kerosene blowtorches in the UK, either went out of buisness or stopped making these pressure blowtorches.

The last manufacturer of these blowtorches was Parasene, even though they went on to make butane and propane blowtorches and stove's,they still made them up too the 1970's may be in too the early 1980's.

I have seen a few in shops for sale in the early 1980's

• Hallo Forum i have today all most finnished the Barthel 160,i have replaced all the seals the filler cap washer as the old was very hard.

I replaced the old pump washer which seals the pump to the tank,the original was very hard and no matter how tight i tightened it i could not make a air tight seal,the original pump washer was made of white metal but not lead,it was quite hard and not flexible like lead it may be made from alluminium,i replaced it with a Tilley pump tube washer which was a perfect fit.

I replaced the pump valve pip which the original had rotted away,with a pip washer i made from viton,the old brass holder was worn and the new viton pip, would not stay in the brass holder so i had to glue it in place,this has not worked very well as there is still a slight leak from the pump valve, which is why i have not fired it up and i need to buy some coleman fuel, but once i get the pump valve working and get some fuel i will add some more pics of iot in flame.

I have cleaned out the inside of the burner, and replaced the old wick as the old was realy dirty and burnt,the new wick was made from the strands from a cotton mop.

I replaced the valve spindle packing with some graphite tape,which was from our forum member Peter Bendel.

Replacing the graphite packing on the Barthel 160 was different to all the Sweedish and English blowtorches i have,on the British and Sweedish torches the graphite packing, is compressed by the brass nutt that screws on to the burner,on the Barthel 160 it is wrapped around the valve spindle, between a fixed washer and a washer that can slide along the valve spindle, and when it is screwed into the burner the first washer is slid along and compresses the graphite packing,and if the regulator valve spindle is screwed in to shut down posistion, and the brass nutt on the spindle is screwed in as far as possible it locks the valve spindle,so it can not be turned if io am correct the nut is to set how far the regulator needs to be opened and to stop the spindle being unscrewed out of the burner.

I realy like this blowtorch is a very well made and of brilliant quality, and i am looking forward to fireing it up and useing it once i get the pump valve working, i forgot to mention i like the handle with the bottom cap that unscrews so it can store the jet pricker and washers etc,here are a few pics of the blowtorch so far