Problem with a Petromax mantel

• Hey guys, just got a new petromax 500 over here in Connecticut... having trouble getting it up and working. The mantel wont glow, instead it just burns as a little bag of fire. I have tried a few other mantels thinking maybe I tied it wrong but still have the same problem. I've been preheating it for a few minutes (thought that may be the problem) have it at the correct pressure and have confirmed that I dont have a pressure leak. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Doug

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Keusen (✝) ()

• Hmmm... sounds promising... dumb question, how do i do that? Assuming that is one of the adjustments screws on the top of the lantern?

• Hi

Remove vent...you will then see the top of the generator/vaporizer and the air intake tube just above that...the distance between both must be correct otherwise mucho problemo :naughty:

In your tool kit you have a spanner/wrench...at one end you will see small markings 250/350/500...assuming yours is a 500cp you must use this marking to set the distance between both...simple operation..just slack the screw that keeps the air tube in position.. Note: the small screw you talked about that is visible when the vent is on is for fine tuning only..but it can make a huge difference to performance once adjusted..Try this first and report back :thumbup:

OCD.. Obsessive Coleman Disorder 8o

• Doug

BTW...Do yourself a huge favor once you get her running ok....invest in Peerless mantles Heavy Duty (Blue Packet)...you will need welding goggles to look at the lantern!!..Super bright.. 8|

• Doug,
    if you haven't seen it already check the instruction on how to completely restore a Petromax lantern. It will give you some more insight information and better understanding.
    Good luck, Erwin.

Gut goahn ut Westfoalen.
    Erwin, de' ColeMan :rauch:

• Thanks guys. Most helpful. I"m still having the problem, I adjusted the mixture and thinking the problem may be with my Brite-lyt globes. Thinking that the mesh bag wont contain the flame maybe? I ordered the blue peerless ones (Thank you very much fox!! :prost: ) and will re-assess once I get these. I will report back. Really appreciate the assistance so far!

Doug

• Hm, maybe the nozzle ist worn out, so too much gas comes through and the huge amount of gas can´t be mixed wih enough air for a clean burning flame...
    Rumors say, that even new Petromax-Lanterns sometimes come with poorly manufactured parts, like nozzles and rapid-burners...
    My advice for you: Try a new nozzle from the spare-parts set, delivered with your lantern and check out what happens :done:

Best regards,
    Jürgen

Mancher will von der Lampe den Rost abputzen, scheuert aber nur das Metall weg und der Rost bleibt sitzen.
    Zitat: Quelle unbekannt

• Yes I agree..Doug, even a cheap mantle should burn correctly albeit not as bright...there are other issues here..As Jurgen said try replace the nozzle at the top of generator you should have a spare one in your kit...If the hole in the nozzle is a fraction over size it can/will cause flames at the mantle....be careful when screwing in the new nozzle not to bend the needle...Also make sure that the ceramic burner
    screen ( Where mantle is tied on) and its holder are tight...maybe check for any imperfections here also....let us know how you get on .. ;) If all this does not work it would be best to give this lantern to me :rofl: :rofl:

Hm, maybe the nozzle ist worn out, so too much gas comes through and the huge amount of gas can´t be mixed wih enough air for a clean burning flame...
    Rumors say, that even new Petromax-Lanterns sometimes come with poorly manufactured parts, like nozzles and rapid-burners...
    My advice for you: Try a new nozzle from the spare-parts set, delivered with your lantern and check out what happens :done:

Best regards,
    Jürgen

• Apologies... can't figure out how to tie this to the previous thread... great news, with the new blue peerless mantels and taking the pressure lines (?) apart again, and futzing around with the needle, have it working like a champ. OMG... it is brighter than the sun! So right, welding goggles are needed to look at this thing. Most excellent!!! Really appreciate all of the help and support from this group, very very grateful. Sincerely, Doug in Connecticut. :thumbup:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Keusen (✝) ()

• Hi Doug,
    great, it works. :done:
    Another possibility for your lamp (it was a Petromax 500cp?)

are Coleman Goldtop 1111 mantles, they do work also great on Petromax lamps and may be easier to get in USA. ;)

I'll fix this to your older post.

Best regards and a lot of light, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Benz-ihn ()