Primus 1051 restauration

• Hello all

The other day I found an old blue Primus 1051 online where only the glalss was missing for 26 Euro - so I bought it and eagerly await its arrival (Any man should buy a Christmas presentfor himself I think :-))

Meanwhile I have done some research and found out that this model is designed to work with gasoline and not kerosene.

I have to say that this makes me a bit nerveus since I only have experience with the kerosene burning lanterns and consider gasoline much more flammable and potentially more dangerous... But is this concern uncalled for??

Does any of you guys have experience with the Primus 1051 or gasoline burning presseure lanterns in general that could set my mind at ease? And do you have any general hints that are important for these types of lanters that are different from the kerosene burning lanters (I have a lot of experience restauring and using the kerosene burning lanterns so advise does not need to be given at beginner level :-))

Or as an alternative - Is it possible to burn kerosene in this lantern instead without any modifications? - and if any modifications are needed - please specify which ones.

Thank you in advance and a Merry Christmas to you all! :nikolaus:

BR Casper

• Hi Caspar,

You can also run the lantern with kerosene/petroleum.
    Please remember that the lantern you need more then just warm up with spirit.
    If you want to run with petrol lantern must all be in proper seals.
    I use Viton seals. Viton is resistant to petrol.
    PS: Any fuel is hazardous :grenade: . Whether petroleum, petrol or spirit.

best greetings

Peer

PS: We also wish you a nice christmas. :nikolaus:

• Dear Peer

Thank you for your answer. But just to be clear on your answer:

1) So the lantern needs no modifications to burn with kerosene/petroleum? No alternative nozzle and needle with different size? Because the pre-heater on the 1051 seems to be different than the normal spirit cup used on Petromax ect. (A bit hard to evaualte the pre-heater only from low-res pictures)

2) You write "Please remember that the lantern you need more then just warm up with spirit." I am a bit unclear on this sentence. Do you mean that I need to pre-heat additionally or in a different way for this lantern than for the regular kerosene lanterns?

3) Where can i buy the Viton seals - and additionally where can I buy the lead washers originally used? Because now from Pelam.de they send rubber ones in the spare kits.

And yes - any fuel is hazardous - I gues I am just more used to kerosene/petroleum.:-)

BR Casper

• Hi Caspar,
    Of course, the lead seals OK.
    The seal in the pump valve and carburetor valve must be in order.
    These must be petrol resistant.
    If a lamp is old, the seals are also made new because of the rubber hardens with time and does not close.
    If you want to run a lantern with kerosene, petrol, the operation is to be made to warm up just 2 x spirit.
    Petroleum ignites a little later than petrol because of the carburetor must be already hot before you light the lamp.
    Gasoline resistant seals, you can get at Ernst from Switzerland.
    If you can you are running kerosene lamp with the original nozzle must stay inside.

I have sent you a PN.

best greetings

Peer

• Hi again Peer

Yes I will of course exchange all washers, seals ect. to new ones, as I normally do when restauring a lantern. I am thinking about finding som lead plate and knock out lead seals myself since I cannot find them anywhere :-). In my opinion lead washers a much better than rubber ones in the bottom of the pump house and where you connect the vaporizer rod to the tank.

Now I am clear what you mean about the pre-heating. Personally I have always just pre-heated 1 time with the spirit-cup on my lanterns using kerosene - and this has never caused me any problems. Why do you pre-heat 2 times with kerosene?

I am glad that I can run the 1051 on regular kerosene without any problems and modifications - I must say that it is the fuel I feel the best about :-)

Thank you for the link - I think I also will be buying the "Spreizfeder für Pumpenleder inkl. Mutter M5 metrisch

" for some of my lanters. It seems like a good accesory :-)

BR Casper

• Hi Casper,

Spread the spring for the pump leather is great :stark: .
    I also have built in many lanterns.
    Once is enough Preheat is OK.
    If it is very cold before I heat with 2 x spirit.
    The test you need.

If your lamp all seals are in order then you need have no fear before the operation with petrol :done: .

best greetings

Peer

• At this lantern you can use a R55 Coleman generator,

the gasket from Coleman fillercap.

the globe

and the leather fits from Coleman , too.

IMMER EINS MEHR WIE DUU , :po: