Acetone question

• Hi All –
    I read in the post about using acetone as a cleaning agent for old kerosene residue (black stuff left in tank)
    Well I took my Picostar apart and found a layer of about 5mm of that black stuff in the tank ;( (some left it with a lot of fuel for a very long time)
    The question is how long can I leave the lantern with acetone in the tank?
    A day? Two or even more
    Your expertise on the subject is needed :hail: as on this site is the first time I saw the use of acetone
    Thanks all
    :prost:

• Hi steelkingdom,

u can last the aceton in the tank for several days it doesn´t harm your lamp. I drop some screws or something like that in the tank and start to rotate and shake it with the screws inside for a half an hour. Then most of the black stuff will be out of the tank.
    But attention with rubber or plastic parts. Aceton is very agressive to them and solves them up.
    Good luck.

:bang: Burn`em :bang:
    www.burnem.de
    Wenn das letzte Killerspiel verboten, die letzte Waffe entsorgt und der letzte Fernseher verschrottet ist, werdet ihr merken, daß ihr eure Kinder trotzdem erziehen müßt.

• If the found is not coatet with tin or zinc (may be made form brass) you can use NaHO.

fröhliches Leuchten
    Jürgen

"Die Zukunft sollte man nicht vorhersehen wollen, sondern möglich machen"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

• OK, a brass fond is cleaned by me with Caustic Soda (Sorry, but these thread is in german) sometimes 1 to 2 hours are enough for the soaking.

fröhliches Leuchten
    Jürgen

• Hi steelkingdom,
    this is a good news, I like this caustic soda, but bee carefully with some heavy metals and also with aluminium (like the type plate), they may be solved by the caustic soda.

May it be possible to get some :foto:?(

Good luck for the rest of mounting work.

fröhliches Leuchten
    Jürgen

• Hi Jurgen

thanks for the heads up about the other metals :D - I will use it carfully
    here it it can be found in hardware stores as a drain cleaner.
    As for the photos :foto: I will post them as soon as the picostar is back together agine (wating for some parts from Pelam - lead washers)

:prost: