Gaudard 8''' Vasenringe (problem)

• I have many small glass founts and bought Gaudards 8''' brass mounting rings (Vasenringe) for them. Now I have tried four old Kosmos burners, but none of them can be screwed in completely. Only one turn, and then they get stuck.

Do you know if Gaudards rings have another type of thread than the old?

I don't want to buy new Gaudard burners for them. Maybe someone here can advice me where I can find old 8''' mounting rings?

I think one of my burners is from Hugo Schneider, and two others are of the type that Deutsche Bundesbahn used (with locking screw).

Sorry for writing in english. I can read some german, but not write it.

• Oh, English is not a problem, not at all.
    You can take some pictures of the burners and show them here, maybe someone has suitable parts. You can also ask in the section of the forum that is called "Tauschbörse". I´m pretty sure someone will find something. I´ll check what I have around tomorrow, but most likey I only have some for 10''' and upwards.

Stefan

• Here are pictures of the burners. I hope the pictures work. I have four of them, and they all have the same problem as you can see. They can only be screwed in less than one turn, and then they get stuck. It works, but doesn't look good. :(

The burner on the left and the one on the glass tank are most likely Hugo Schneiders, and the ones with locking rings probably from DB (who made them?)

• You are not the only one with this kind of problem.
    I also have a vase and mounted a new Gaudard Vasenring. Only an old Gaudard burner fits, my Brökelmann doesn't and my old Hugo Schneider burners are curious, one fits and one not.
    I think the measures of the thread of the mounting ring made by Gaudard are not very exact.
    I filed the thread of the ring away and soldered an old cutted thread in.
    Now all burners fit.

While the 8''' rings of Gaudard are too small, the 10''' rings are too wide for some old burners like my old K&T with a cut thread. You can spin the burner in the ring...

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Max Pedro ()

• Zitat

Original von Max Pedro
    and my old Hugo Schneider burners are curious, one fits and one not.

I have three 14''' Hugo Schneider burners, each a little different. The one with the beautiful motif on the wick-wheel (cogwheel with wings) has a too small thread diameter so it just spins around. The other two are just fine.

I don't want to buy Gaudard burners for my 8''' founts. Gaudards Kosmos burners are ok, but the old german burners are of better quality, thicker brass, and are also cheaper. (Ok, the Bundesbahn burners I have are of lower quality, but they weren't made for home lighting). Antiques are more fun. :)

• I totally agree with you. I also prefer old burners, they are of better quality.

The curiosity with the two 8''' HS burners is: both are totally the same. I got a pair of two old kitchen lamps from my father. Same vases, same burners marked "Kosmos Brenner", same reflectors. But the measures of the thread of the burners seem to differ a bit. They both fit old collars perfectly, but one of them doesn't fit the new Gaudard collars and gets stuck in them!

I don't have any problems with the 14''' rings and all my 14'''/15'''/20''' burners . They all fit perfectly.