About my last find: Hasag

• Hallo,
    I'm aware of the fact that I write something every evening, if I'm noisy, alert me please!

The type of Hasag lamp I found is a model 351. I've deduct this comparing some photos on the web.
    A strange particular of this lamp is that the carburettor group ( at last I completely dismounted it) does not have a valve inside the fount. The on/off lever just moves the needle ( broken) thanks to the excenter shaft ( broken) . It seems to me very strange that a simple needle closing the nipple can stop alone the flow of fuel, and that the lamp is pressure tight when I pump air inside! In Petromax ( or alike ) lamps the function of the needle is just to clean the nipple... May be I'm wrong about the way this lamp works, I need to be....illuminated!
    Another question is what type of fuel is supposed to be used with this lamp? The lack of the classic spiral suggest benzin ( unleaded gas) but I'm not sure. This answer is not a priority for me, it will take a long time before I'll can try to catch light out of it, I have to make a new excenter shaft ( not impossible) and find the way to put a new cat whisker on the top of the terminal screwed part remained ( crazy job)
    Or better, if someone has an idea where to find these spares, a beverage of his choice is offered from me!!
    Thank you from Italy
    Carlo Bianconi

• Hello Otto,

It is right that all Hasag lamps known to me dont have a fount valve like petromax or other lamps. It is also right that most of them run with unleaded gas (Benzin) but if you just modiify the vapourizer a little bit it will already run withkerosene/ petrolio(petroleum). You just have to roll a greater part of brass gauze around the upper part of the conduction rod and replace it in the vapourizer. The function of the needle is the same like in petromax lamps, only for cleaning purposes!. Not to dimm the light, or to close the nozzle (if you look the diameter of needle an nozzle you will see it couldn´t fit) like some people mention. The needle will not stop the flow of fuel completly but reduce it, so you must turn the lamp of by releasing the pressure of the tank. The start of a hasag needs more time than a px rapid start! Take you 10 min time to start the lamp the first time!Later you will hear if the lamp needs more pressure. Start to preheat (most hasag have an asbestos wick wich is ignited with white spirit) with an open tank valve( no pressure like a px) and excenter valve open that means needle down and not in the noozle. Close the valve at the end of preheating but not before 1 min. burning time and start to pump 3-5 times.Normaly the lamp shoud start with a ´plopp´ sound and doesn´t shine very bright. After 1 min of burning start to pump another 3-5 times. repeat this procedure min. three times more. You must build up the pressure slowly, if you hear exactly to the sound of your lamp you can hear if she can need more or less pressure at the moment. The longer it burns, the warmer it is, the more pressure you can give to the lampSo after 10 min you shoud have the pressure like in a px and a bright shining hasag.

Good luck in restauration of the lamp. If you are interested I could scan you the italian part of the manual from a Hasag 551.Just give me one or two days, i will mail it to you.

:bang: Burn`em :bang:
    www.burnem.de
    Wenn das letzte Killerspiel verboten, die letzte Waffe entsorgt und der letzte Fernseher verschrottet ist, werdet ihr merken, daß ihr eure Kinder trotzdem erziehen müßt.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Burnem ()

• Hallo to you and thannk you for your competent answer. I supposed it worked in the way you described, I have some kerosene stoves that work in the same way. Now I'm certain about this.
    The scans of an italian manual are very appreciated, you cand send them to info@carlobianconi.it
    Soon I will reconstruct the excenter shaft, and will do the first experiments.
    I'll get you in touch about the results.
    Vielen danke
    Carlo Bianconi