Kerosene and solvents

• Hallo,
    today,it's a rainy but lucky day.
    At a flea market, I've found an old Hasag kerosene lamp. It's complete, but everything is blocked by a black tarnish that I can not kill.
    My question is: What is the right solvant for this kerosene-produced tarnish? I've tryed alchool, benzine, kerosene, but all was unsuccesfull.
    Someone has a successfull idea?
    Thank you
    Carlo Bianconi - Italy

• May be that you can use caustic soda solution, if you are a little bit familar with german language please search for "Natronlauge" in this forum.

But you must handle with care this soulution, it is very dangerous/corrosive for the skin etc. And also for some metals, eg. aluminum (used for the type plates), tin (used in the solders of the fittings) and also zinc. There may be some more metals, if interested you must look for.

All sealings has to be dismounted to prevent damages caused by the caustic soda solution.

Brass will become a red shining surface, but its no problem, this can be polished away.

fröhliches Leuchten
    Jürgen

"Die Zukunft sollte man nicht vorhersehen wollen, sondern möglich machen"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

• I've tryed Acetone, ant it works, slowly but works.
    Afer a couple of hours of bath, I've been able to dismantle the carburettor just for discovering that the eccentric shaft that moves up and down the mechanism is broken. Someone has tried to move the on/off knob with everything blocked. Lucly I have a friend very proficient in mechanics! I think it's a very old lamp, I will do some researches on the web. There is no model number, just the firma Hasag.
    The funny thing is that it has an hole in the glass, I think for lighting the primer!
    If I find the way to put pictures on this forum, I'll do
    Vielen danke
    Carlo Bianconi Italy