Flickering light

• Hi forum,
    My 500cp has a slight fliker when it is running.
    Does anyone know what may be the cause? Thanks.

...and he guided them with the SUN by day and a PETROMAX by night......Mysticman030

• Hello Mysticman,

this flickering appears at all Petromax-lanternss but in different speed.

It is called "leidenfrost" and names an effect, appearing while vaporization.
    At some lamps, this flickering appears faster than a stroboscope-light, almost unrecognizable, and at some other lanterns it is slowly and pumping like a steamtrain.

On most lamps it depends on a very clean or new carbureator, as there is less surface than in a used carbureator with deposits, making a bigger surface to vaporize. So the effekt becomes smaller after a few hours of use.

If it won't get better, a winding of brass-gouse around the needleholder inside the carbureator would help against the flickering. :done:

Good luck, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Wow! So there is some science in it.
    I am wondering if too much air/fuel preassure may cotribute to this problem.
    Is that possible? Thanks again,Bjorn.

...and he guided them with the SUN by day and a PETROMAX by night......Mysticman030

• No problem, you're welcome. :done:

An interesting theorie to the frequency of flickering is this:

"The noise (zissling) of vaporization coming from the injektion-nozzle makes a micro-vibration, wich is running down trough the carbureator into the tank.
    There it produces concentric microwaves in the fuel around the lower carbureator, what makes little differences inside the pressure, in which the fuel is reaching the carbureator."

This sounds even strange to me, but it would be a cause why the flickering at some lamps is getting slower and more pumping, short before the end of the fuel.

Sometimes it is caused by too much pressure, but in most cases it occurs in that moment, when still liquid fuel reaches the nozzle, being not gased until then.
    There it helps to make the surface inside the carbureator bigger by some windings of brass-gause.

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Benz-ihn ()

• Hmmmm! I guess i can accept that theory,since nothing else seems to be wrong.
    I have some major quality issues with a lantern I purchased in the U.S.
    At first I thought this flickering may be coming from my mixing chamber or burner being loose,because on one occassion the burner just blew out from the chamber while lantern was running.
    It is so poorly machined,that I can press the burner back into the chamber with my two fingers.
    and also my #50 won't thighten,both threads are bad(not stripped)just a bad fit.The top of the vapourizer appears to be flared.I'm trying to get them replaced.