History

• Hi Guys,
    Now please dont laugh at me, but until a few months ago I had never heard of Petromax, but since purchasing my little baby hk500 in brass I am so hooked I want to know more of the history of my little baby and the company who gave her life I know the basics i.e that things have not changed much since the 1920's (which is good, too many good products have been spoilt by modernisation these days) and that production moved to China for a while, but please can someone tell me what is the relationship between Pelam and Petromax they both seem to market the same product and I understand thet Pelam mantles are more robust / stronger han Petromax originals.
    P.S what on earth are pre - burned mantles surely they would be impossible to use or was the previous post a joke which was lost in translation to English.
    many thanks in advance John

• Hi John,

I think it's like this:
    Graetz developed a lamp (long time ago) and called it Petromax.
    The lamps are still produced but no longer by Graetz but another company.
    I don't know if it's Pelam.
    But Pelam is the new brand owner.
    There was another company which produced nearly the same lamps, called Geniol. Those lamps were from Heinze.
    Usually there is no difference in quality of both lamps, but the Geniol lamps are no longer produced.

@all:
    Am I right?

And what are pre-burned mantles???
    Reminds me at pre-eaten food.

Greetings,
    Bo

• Hi John,
    I think many websites might answer your question, but from the other point of view the history in brief in english is missing in this forum.

Petromax, one of the brand-names of Erich&Graetz in Berlin is nothing else, than the nickname of Max Graetz, which was called "Petro-Max". The design hasn't changed very much since the 30th, models from the 20th differ in many details from the lanterns later on. After WW2, the design of the lower half of the vaporizer has changed, the mounting place went from the center to one of the edges. So, we are talking today about an upright vaporizer.
    The lantern-works is Berlin, based on the political in Germany, have been left after WW2 and Graetz started a new factory in Altena, Westphalia. Later on, a company from Wuppertal took over the production, called Heinze. Their brand-name, still with the same, unchanged design was Geniol. Pelam is the brand-name owner of Petromax right now, the production is still in China, where in the same factory also a lot of clones are made.

That's the history in a brief nutshell.

For the pre-burned-mantles:
    Those mantles can be found in all inadescent lamps, which are not able to blow the mantle, e.g. Aladdin lanterns and some wood-alcohol-lanterns. Those mantles have been formed by flames and later on be hardened and sprayed for the transport.

For the comparsion between Pelam mantles and old Petromax mantles I have to disagree your thesis. The old mantles, if well stored, are outstanding in terms of robustness and light-output. If you haven't had the chance to really use an old mantle, drop me your adress via email or pn, and I'll send you one for your own comparsion.

Enjoy the light !

Cheers,
    Wilm

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

• Hello John!
    The inventor of the lamp was called at that time "Max Graetz". Its pointed name was in the population Petroleum Maxe”. Therefore the lamp "Petromax" was called.
    The company Greatz hives these lamps up to the Second World War in Berlin. Due to the division the company moved after Altena in Westphalia. There the lamps to approx. became. 1970 produce. Subsequently, production was transferred by the company "Heinze" to Wuppertal. Heinze built the lamps of far under the designation "Geniol", to approx. to the year 2000. The production place was however at the company "Hipolito" in Portugal. Hipolito built these lamps also under own label.
    Afterwards production went to China. There the lamps are today still built. With change of the manufacturers and also the production places the quality of the lamps finally became noticeably more badly.
    The companies Pelam possesses for the past few years the rights to distribute in Germany.

• Hi John,

That is how I got started and it is a great hobby. My first lamp was a "New" 500 CP Petromax lantern. I never cease to find something new. All good answers to your questions about the history of the name. I can't think to add anything. This forum and website is a really great site to begin (the best in my opinion) Here is another good site to look at:

http://terrence.marsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/index.htm

Enjoy your new lamp and take care of it. It will serve you well.

Best Regards,

Sean

PS hello to all my friends around the world in cyber lantern land.

My lamps:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vmax29/PetromaxAlbum#

• Many thanks to you all for your responses to my questions about the history of Petromax, and thanks Wilm for your offer of a Trial mantle. I have got to save that for later as I will soon have an ancient 1920's lamp to renovate and I may need to call on you for guidance in its renovation, I have downloaded Bommels guide for renovating an old 1960's lamp and I am just itching to get my hands on this 1920's antique.
    Again many thanks to you all.
    John