Brenner identification

• Hallo!

Excuse me for writing in English, but it's easier for me than german (I'm swedish).

I bought this burner with flamespreader. Both the wick wheel and the flamespreader are marked with the Carl Meyer logotype. It takes a 14''' wick.

Maybe someone can identify the model name, and how old it might be?

Grüss aus Schweden

brenner.jpg

• Hi Spajd,

Carl Meyer & Co. Hamburg, or "CAMERCO" was producing high amounts of cheap lamps, lanterns and burners.

I can not figure out since when, but definetly since after the first worldwar.
    In the "Goldberg"-catalogue of 1912, Carl Meyer or Cmerco is not listed as a producer or seller of lamps.
    They were selling wicks and other additional stuff too, and still today, the
    "Karl Meyer Company" is selling oil-Lamps of less quality, they never reached the quality-level of high class burners like W&W., K.&T. or later Hugo Schneider.

Your Wickwheel is marked with the old trademark, which lets me guess that your burner had been produced before WW2.

Sorry, I could not help more, that is all i could find out.
    Maybe somebody else knows more.
    Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Thanks!

I figured that this was a cheaper burner with flamespreader, because it doesn't have a wick carrier. It's in very good shape, though, and hopefully works well. I'm getting a new chimney for it.

By the way, what are the wick carriers for, that many of the Matador-type of burners have? Are they only to keep the wick straight?

I started to get interested in kerosene lamps last autumn, after a case of power outage in the village were my parents have their sommer home. The electricity was out for the whole night, and it was so dark thay it was impossible to see my hands in front of my face. It got so cold in the guest house that I couldn't sleep. :D

I bought two new lamps with Kosmos burners, and got fascinated.

• Hi Spajd,

I can exactly feel the same fascination of those old lamps :naughty:

The older lamps do have wick carriers in several varieties, and I think it is caused by the special wick for those models, because there where several models or producers, needing a wick with special features for their burners.

My "Hugo" burner (15'") does have a wick carrier, but I had never seen such a wick before in any other old lamp. The original wick is that much soft and loosely woven but makes a lot of light and does not burn off.

This makes me think of a need of a wick carrier, because right under it, the weaving opens into the bassin completely, it looks like a ragmop.

So it is maybe to ceep the upper wick from loosing strukture.

Best regards, Björn

God created men.

• That sounds like the most logical explanation. Thanks. :done:

Yes, kerosene burners are interesting in many ways. Their history, the technology, and that they can still be used. The light from a flame is fascinating on it's own right, too.

I have a collection of old cameras too, for the same reasons, except the flame.

I will certainly buy more interesting lamps/burners, but not in october because of the high *electricity* bill I got. :explode:

• Tried it today, and it seems to be a real 15''' burner. The wick looked ok when dry, but when wet and lighted it shrank a little.

Where the wick ends get together there's a small /\ shaped hole that draws air, making the flame larger at that spot, and a humming sound can be heared.

I will get a 15''' wick and try again.

My god, it burns hot as a stove. :D

• yepp, hot as hell, I tried to check temperature over the chimney with an infrared-thermometer - when 600°C was reached, it posted ERROR!

I use my favorite Lamp every evening for light and heat in our livingroom.

With a tight fitting wick your problem should be solved.

Best regards, Björn

God created men.

• After playing with the Carl Meyer burner I thought about a perhaps better explanation for the wick varrier. Burners with flamespreaders are more sensitive about the evenness of the wick. The wick must be cut more evenly than in a Kosmos. Also, the wick transport system is important for the evenness. A wick carrier transport the wick better, so the joints will be of the same height when turning the wick up and down.