HK 500 Pump question

• Hi

I got as a christmas present a very fine Petromax HK500 powerlamp and it is now working fine when I finally realized the quite complicated startup procedure and that it must be preheated very long before ignition!

But, I still have some problem with the pressure pump. The pump has an leather sleeve which I have oiled with a tiny sewing machine oil. But when I am pumping pressure in the ignition phase the pump very often fails and hits empty.

Could you please tell me if I can get a better functioning pump if I replace the leather sleeve with the O-ring attachement? Is this possible and where I can order such a sparepart? My Petromax was bought from Kaasuvalo in Helsinki but they dont have separate spareparts, only the set of Sealing Devices, but this set does not include O-ring attachement for the pump.

BR. Kenneth Magnusson, Helsinki

• Hello, Kenneth!

Welcome to the great PELAM-Forum! :welcome:

For oiling the pump leather you need a fat or an oil which is not to liquid, more viscous. Then you should try to form and spread the pump leather until it fits in an optimal way into the pump.

In my opinion, the O-Ring pump is not a good alternative! :po:

Best regards Gerald

Die wahren Lebenskünstler sind bereits glücklich, wenn sie nicht unglücklich sind. (Jean Anouilh)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von HerrLehmann ()

• Thanks for the advice. But what kind of oil should be enough fat for the pump leather, perhaps engine oil SAE 40-50?

I shall also try to loose the washer a little bit and then it perhaps will expand the leather sleeve.

BR. Kenneth M.

• Heh, I've got a problem with "leather pump" too, but in different kind. I did a new washer by cuting a new washer from a part of leather. But the leather was too thick, so after forming it to correct shape and pushing into a latern it is TOO HERMETIC and when I pull it out, the air cannot go under the washer. When i let it free, there is underpressure under the washer which takes it down. So my new washer is REALLY hermetic :applaudit: Offcourse it is impossible to pump even a little of air :zwille: :zwille:
    Weting the washer in kerosene made it more elastic, but it's still too hermetic, so if the technical vaseline won't help You, the good idea is buying a new leather washer. Or You can make it by yourself, but remember that the fat of a leatherand and correct profile of washer are the keys for success.