Excessive Pump Strokes?

• Hello again forum,

I have replaced the pump leather with the o-ring device and the pump action is much more consistent. I used Dow Corning silicone vacuum grease, that I found under my workbench, to lubricate the o-rings. I don't know if this is better than motor oil, but it seemed more "high-tech". However, it still takes over 200 strokes to get the guage to the redline from a cold start (tank about half full). Is this normal? My fingers hurt before I get the thing lit. Also, I notice that the guage shows a gradual loss of pressure even when the lantern is not lit and the valve is closed (up). Should I look for a leak?

Paul

• Paul,

Not so sure on the grease to the o-ring. Do not think it is absolutly necessary. The number of strokes needed to pressure up the lantern to the red line or further will depend on how full the tank is. As far as athe loss of pressure is concerned, You should never lose pressure. I have pressurized tanks for testing after a repair and they have held pressure for hours and days with no loss. The best way i have found to test for leaks is to imerse the lantern in water. The tank should be empty for best results.

Christop

• I think I have fixed the leak, Christop. There was some green corrosion on the tip of the bleeder valve. I removed it with brass polish. Now the lantern holds pressure. Of course, I didn't think to do this until after removing the top parts and globe, breaking the mantle in the process. Then I opened the fuel valve while the lantern was under pressure, squirting kerosene all over the inside. It is all dried out now, with a new mantle. I hope it is warm enough outside tomorrow to try it out.

Paul

Paul

• Paul,
    I am glad you have found the leak. But as far as how many strokes to pressurize the lantern is concerned, it is as i said. It will depend on how full the fuel tank is. Let me know how your test fire goes.

Christop