Petromax 829

• Hello,
    I'm new to this site and only recieved my Petromax 829 Rapid today.
    I'm very pleased with the product but i wondered if it was safe to use one indoors with lots of ventilation ? I was planning to use my Petromax in my wooden shed with the door open, maybe this is not a good idea ?

History

• hello,

of course, you can use it indoors,
    you don't even have to have a strong ventilation for the room.
    Opening the window from time to time will do.

There are many petroleum(kerosene)-ovens which have twice or thrice the power of a Petromax and they were used in closed rooms for decades.

The only thing you should do is buy cleaned high-quality-Petroleum (kerosene) because it does not smell when burning.

An other thing you can do is use ethyl alcohol.
    Therefor you have to do some minor changes to your lamp (alcohol needs fewer air than kerosene to combust) and the light intensity will go down to approximately half the light intensity your lamp had with kerosene.

But ethyl alcohol doesn't smell at all and burns really clean.

Irgendwie haben es mir die Österreichischen Hersteller angetan:
    Brünner, Ditmar, Halbaerth, Phoebus, immer her damit...

Beste Grüße

Sven

• Thank you very much Sven,
    I feel much happier now.
    I have only just recieved my Petromax, and i'm totally new to pressure lanterns so for now I'll stick to quality Kerosene.

History

• when you ar totally new to these lamps,
    then DON'T use them indoors the first times.

Especially Petromax lamps have some originalities and difficulties that you have to learn about and find out about at first.
    When you know your lamp very well (after heaving burned some liters of cerosene) and everything at your lamp is adjusted perfectly then you can use it indoors.

but remember a Petromax lantern needs a lot of maintenance, especially when using it indoors.

for indoor use everything on your lamp must work perfectly otherwise you get your room full of smoke and stench very easily.

Irgendwie haben es mir die Österreichischen Hersteller angetan:
    Brünner, Ditmar, Halbaerth, Phoebus, immer her damit...

Beste Grüße

Sven