Astral 30''' Brenner

• A bright greeting to all.
    I was lucky enough to come across this lamp.
    I think it's a Ditmar Astral 30''
    I would love to turn it back on but the whole inside is missing.
    For the wick I can manage but not with the inner tube and the flame disc.
    Does anyone own one like it?
    May I ask for some photos of the two missing pieces?
    Can you tell me some dimensions?
    Sizes would be fine though of different sized Astral burners.
    I thank you in advance.
    A warm greeting

• Ciao Alberto!

Astral Lamps are centre draught lamps. The inner wick tube is the same as the draught tube, which is an integral part of the font. Here is a picture of one of my Astral lamps:

Your lamp base does not look like a centre draught font. I have never seen an Astral Lamp with such a base either, and I suspect that the burner was mounted on the wrong base (if it really is an Astral burner).

-------------------------------------------

Grüße aus dem Ruhrgebiet

Carsten

• The flame spreader is inserted in the draught tube of the lamp. Here is a picture of one of my 30''' Astral lamps and the flame spreader, which is constructed quite elaborately. I can give you the measurements, but without a suitable font it won't help.

By the way, Astral Lamps also need a special chimney to function properly:

Grüße aus dem Ruhrgebiet

Carsten

• Hi Carsten!

thanks for the photos and for your information.
    Your Astal lamp is fantastic!

So there is no possibility that it works only with outer airflow.
    What a pity, I had never seen such an elaborate oil lamp before and didn't even know how it worked.
    It will mean that I will continue with my initial aim of electrifying it and the hole that will be under the font will not be exactly for the central draft.
    Who knows where that font came from... this is the cap.
    Thanks again.

Ciao

• Hi Giulio,

I wouldn't give up so easily. Astral lamps are offered on ebay from time to time, often incomplete. It is not unlikely that you will find a suitable font for your burner this way, perhaps even a flame spreader. Electrification of a lamp is anathema to me as a collector.

The fuel cap indicates that the base comes from a Hugo Schneider lamp.

Best regards

Carsten

Grüße aus dem Ruhrgebiet

Carsten

• Hi Carsten,

thank you for your exhortations, I assure you that I will not give up.
    I like this burner too much, its generous shape and the mechanisms of it. With the key that moves the Lifting mechanisms I entered this world. The chimney is being rebuilt by a craftsman in Bassano del Grappa, with the measurements found in this forum.
    How nice, however, to have an original like yours!
    Not even the strange shape of the flame disc wouldn't stop me, it wouldn't have the "Astral" branding embossed but it would have done the job for him. Unfortunately I lack the support.

And about the anathema, forgive me, but it's the only way to give this mule a second life.

If that's enough of an excuse, I'll be able to do it without modifying or drilling anything, I'll use the fuel inlet hole.

So, if one day I find a suitable Astral font or Kosmos burner, there will always be two lamps.

Thank you very much, it was a pleasure for me

Best regards.

Alberto