Disappointed by Luxor mantles

• Hi all,

Yesterday I lighted up the lamp again, and while taking the upper part out to tighten the ceramic parts, I damaged the last of my radioactive Butterfly mantles. Bummer.... or, like in German, scheisse....

Had to install a Luxor mantle, ordered 10 ones when I ordered the new lamp, and I must say, I'm really sort of disappointed by the light it gives.
    It's sort of a yellowish light, and doesn't even burn off the dark spots due to carbonizing.
    With previous mantles, various brands, but all with Thorium, the dark spots would burn off in 10 mins or less, but not with these mantles. Bummer, big time.

Already ordered about 60 mantles on Ebay, Peerless mantles with the radioactive shit on it, which I don't give a damn about, because I already did research on the specs, and a brick wall gives more radioactive radiation, 50-100 mRad per year, and 800 mRad per day is the max you can safely get (according to my army training if I remember correctly). Just be careful to wash your hands after using them, and don't eat them, haha.

You guys got the same experiance with mantles? I alread figured out there's a lot of differences, but I never would have figured out there would be so much of a difference.

Kind regard,
    Dutch

To Petromax or not to Petromax, that's the question.