Question on age...

• Hi Carlo,

most probably yes !

You also will find a 6-digit number underneath the fount, showing a serial-number or anything else.

Cheers,
    Wilm

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

• Thanks! As I think someday I'll buy another "old" Petromax, I'm trying to find out the criteria to reconize age and type :-)

Is it true that when there is an "E" inside the "G" logo means that it has been built before 1947?
    I understood that the "B" after the type means Benzin but what about the "E" like, for instance in the 828E?

Tha's all for the moment :-) Sorry but I don't speak German and most of documents in internet are from Germany...

Carlo

• Hi Carlo,
    no issue with the questions. I know, most of the documents are sole in German.

An E inside the G shows, that the lanterns have been produced in the Berlin-works. After 1947 the E disappears. So everytime, you see a E&G, it's an old lantern and not China-made.

A next good indicator are the Rapid-heaters, which have been introduced in 1936.

1936 - 1940 Turn-around heater
    1940 - 1954 "Spoon"-type heater
    1955 - 1965 "Domino"-type heater
    1966 - current Standard-heater

For the "E" after the type-number:
    It seems, that those lanterns were for export only. They quite ofter show up in the States for instance.

Hope, to helped a little bit.

Cheers,
    Wilm

• Thanks Wilm for this information! The trick of the rapid type is great :-)
    Isn't it funny that the E inside the G disappeard from the logo on the lantern but still remains in the logo on the glass? :-)

Cheers,
    Carlo

• Some other questions (again! :-))

Is it correct that the only difference between a model 828/350 and 829/500 are the neeple and the needle?

The available spares today do fit in the old models 828 and 829 with the differents rapid adapters or there are differences in the old models ?

Thanks!

• Hi Carlos,

you're absolutley right. Model 828 and 829 only differ in nozzle and needle.
    828 ist 350 HK, 829 is 500 HK

Same applies to model 826 and 523.
    826 ist 350 HK , 523 is 500 HK.

You can use all spares for the current models, but sometimes the seal for the rapid-heater is a bit to long. But if you got the old capsule, you can simply exchange the rubber-seal.

Cheers,
    Wilm

• Hi All,

i recently bought a Petromax 828/350 with domino rapid and, below the tank it's written 5137 which, if I understood correctly the rule :-), should mean that it has been built the day 7 (sunday), week 51 in 1963.

I checked and it was on Sunday December 28th 1963.

Is that correct? I was surprised to know that Petromax people was working on sunday in the Chrstmas period, the world changed in the meanwhile :-)

Thanks,
    Carlo

• Hi Carlo,

5137 was Sunday, the 22nd December 1963.
    Why not working on a Sunday, to have the day before Christmas as a free day ?

Weekend-work wasn't that uncommon during the 60th and 70th.

Cheers,
    Wilm