The description below is based on the work I did and the experiences I had during the restoration of a Petromax® lantern.
This step-by-step instruction may guide you through all the work perhaps necessary in order to get your lantern restored and back to work or perform better for future operation.
This instruction can similarly be used for a PETROMAX 828 (350 CP), 827 (250 CP) and GENIOL 830 (150 CP).
Although I’m providing this information for everyone to read and use, I can’t assume any responsibility for the work, functionality or safety of your lantern and your work.
If you restore a lantern following these procedures it is your sole responsibility to take care of all necessary precautions in order to safely operate and enjoy your lantern.
Author © : Jan Moeller, Germany
Translation: Erwin Schaefer, Germany
Overview of the Steps
2. Cleaning the parts
3. New seals for generator and pump check valve
4. Re-assembly of Rapid pre-heater and generator (lower part)
5. Adjustment of the gen’s rod length, assembling of gen (upper part) and valve
6. Assembly of frame w. pre-heater cup
7. Putting heat shield and glass globe in place
8. Assembly of complete inner hood and fitting of mantle
9. Adjustment of mixing tube distance
10. Burning the mantle
11. Pre-heating lantern w. Rapid / pre-heater cup
12. Adjustment of mixing tube paddle
13. Put out lantern
14. Generator details
15. Rapid pre-heater details
16. Valve, valve shaft details
17. Check valve details
18. Identification of age