About the wick of Kerosene lantern

• Hello, I have a very basic question.

This is a very rudimentary question, but please help me out.

I know that Feuerhand 276 sturmkappe comes in various colors.

I often see a yellow body among them.

What is the reason why there are so many yellow bodies?

(used by the military, used for signals, etc.)

Also, please tell me the type of coloring.

Please let me know.

Thank you very much.

• Hello,

this typ of latern was painted usually in yellow because it was used mostly at road construction site, to back up at the barriers.

Also used by the Bundeswehr but then it was painted nato green an was in a steel box with a red an yellow glass.

Greetings

Julian

• Hi <$name>!

The 276 storm cap was used very often in the commercial sector, especially by construction companies and city administrations. The lanterns were used to illuminate danger spots and construction sites at night. They were replaced by battery-operated lamps at the end of the 1960s.
    The yellow color for such purposes is required by law in Germany and is called "traffic yellow", color code RAL 1023.

The storm cap was also available in so-called "lighting boxes" for the Bundeswehr. Here the color was - as already written - "nato-oliv" (exactly RAL 6014 "yellow-olive" - color of vehicles and equipment until 1984 (wikipedia)).
    At the customer's request, the lanterns were certainly also available in other colors. Private people also bought them just tinned without painting.

(Translation by Google)

Micha.

>> Es kommt oftmals anders, wenn man denkt. <<

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von winnie ()

• this typ of latern was painted usually in yellow because it was used mostly at road construction site, to back up at the barriers.

And many of the yellow Lamps had been stolen during their use at the barriers by "normal" people for personal needs or had been given free to employes when they had been replaced by electrical stuff.

Actually, many of thoese who slept for decades in basements, attics and sheds are rediscovered by heirs or house clearencers and fluting the markets.

mit kohlenwasserstoffhaltigem Gruß, Immo

\m/

• Baby Special 276-Sturmkappe 72 + 120

Vielen Dank für viel Wissen.

Der große Tank, den ich hatte, hatte einen Kern wie auf diesem Bild und ein baumwollartiges Ding war auch daran befestigt Was für ein Material ist dieses baumwollartige Ding?

Das baumwollähnliche Material war beim Entfernen verrottet, so dass nur der Eisenkern übrig blieb.

Ist es möglich, ein neues baumwollähnliches Material herzustellen?

Bitte helft mir nochmal

• Hi,

I guess you mean the additional wick used in the 70 and 120hrs special versions to increase the transport of the fuel to the burning wick over higher distances.

In German it is called SAUGHILFE (please use searching function with this word).

There are several threads how to replace the missing suction aid wick.

The early versions had a metal tube installed an this tube was filled with cotton threads addtional to the burnig wick.

Later on, the tube was left and a piece of felt was used instead. This felt had a slot und the burner wick was sticked through this slot.

Some pictures of the variations are here: https://www.pelam-forum.de/cor…hment/18152-cimg7347-jpg/

N.B. cotton rifle cleaning wicks e.g. as used on military assault rifles are working well as suction aid.

Grüße

Andy

Fiat Lux !

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Netzwerk ()

• SAI0990

Hat den Titel des Themas von „About the color of Feuerhand 276 sturmkappe“ zu „About the wick of Kerosene lantern“ geändert.
  • Hello, my dear erudite ones!

I've been thinking about the historic kerosene lantern wicks.

Why are the wicks of kerosene lanterns made of cotton?

I thought that if they were made of metal, the wicks would not diminish.

I wondered if anyone in history had ever thought of operating a hurricane lantern with a metal wicks.

Let me know if you actually know anything about metal wicks.

Please lend me your knowledge.

• Iguess, this is , because th capillary action is by far better in cotton, than in metal wick.

It's only recent , that glassfiber wicks have been introduced. E.g. replacing asbestos wicks.

Demut tät' uns allen gut.