Feuerhand 176

• Hi nameless (Curt?)!

The 176 E was developed from the older modell FH 175, produced since 1933. The model was constructed for war times: bigger tank than the 175 for 24 hours burning. A glass-lifting mechanism and a fuel-saving 4.5-mm-burner like the former and smaller FH 075 ATOM. The 176 E was the typical war lantern, produced between 1939 and 1942, without tin on it's surface and painted in "Wehrmachts-Grau" (RAL 6006). The glass was mostly dark (red, blue, black) according to the black-out regulations during wartime. The half-round shaped cap, called "Pilzkopf" (mushroom's head), had the same reason: less light emmission.

Here are some informations on the details: https://sturmlaternen.jimdofree.com/feuerhand/176/

The 176 E - in my opiniion - is not very rare in Germany, because many of them were sold in the first years of war. The problem nowadays is the exorbitant price, which collectors (esp. from Far East) are willing to pay for such lanterns in good shape. Therefore you might have a look at eBay-Germany for the price range.

BTW: The "E" means "Einheitslaterne" - "uniform or standard lantern"

So far up here,

Micha.

>> Es kommt oftmals anders, wenn man denkt. <<

• > Das ist schlichtweg falsch.

Dann schreib nicht so'n Mist, sondern korrigiere das bitte!

Immer wieder dasselbe mit dir - man muß dir alles aus der Nase ziehen! Unglaublich!

:megaphon:

Edit: Die Farbe nennt sich / The color is "Feldgrün". (Farbgebung)

>> The glass was mostly often dark... <<

M.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von winnie ()

• Noch ein Hinweis zur Farbgebung: RAL 6006 (Feldgrau Nr. 3 bzw. grau-oliv)

https://www.militaerlacke.de/f…1k-ral-6006-feldgrau-nr.3

"

Nach 1937 wurden unter Anderem folgende Dinge damit lackiert:

Kochgeschirre

Gasmaskendosen

Stahlhelme

Munitionskisten

im Wesentlichen Ausrüstungsgegenstände und Kleinmaterial <-- (sic!)

Motorräder und Beiwagenkräder

"

Nur der Vollständigkeit halber.

Micha.

• To summarize that not-so-friendly exchange in English: The German name of the lantern's original color (which yours still seems to have) literally translates to "field green". This non-standardized color is reasonably close to current RAL 6006 (but also to other, similar hues).

As the 176E lanterns were being produced during wartime, they may be encountered with dark blackout globes more often than other models. But they are also commonly found with standard clear globes.

With regard to assumed rarity, I'd completely second Micha's/winnie's statement.

Whereas the lanterns are stamped "176" only, they are commonly referred to as "176E" (Einheitslaterne = standard lantern, as Micha already mentioned) to distinguish them from the (quite different) post-war Feuerhand 176 model. (edit: ... and originally to distinguish it from the "176 Lu" model; see below).

Best,

Christina

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nachteule () aus folgendem Grund: Addition

• Moin Christina!

Die Bezeichnung "Einheitslaterne" gab es von Anfang an, es war keine nachträgliche Benennung nach Einführung der Nachkriegs-176.

Diesmal mit Beweis, damit Sirko nicht wieder dazwischenfunkt.

The designation "standard lantern" was there from the beginning, it was not a subsequent designation after the introduction of the post-war 176.

This time with proof so that Sirko doesn't interfere again. (Google-Translator)

http://www.feuerhand.info/index_htm_files/9205.png

(feuerhand.info)

Gruß,

Micha.

• Moin Micha

I'm well aware that the 176 was being marketed as "Einheitslaterne" already when it was in production in the 1940s. No argument on that one. :))

I just tried to point out to Curtb why that lantern, while being stamped "176" (not "176E"), is nowadays commonly referred to as "176E". To the best of my knowledge, the "E" designator after the number was coined by lantern enthusiasts post-war, and not originally by Feuerhand themselves (or was it? :/ Jörg?).

Update, thanks to Jörg/stonewasher: :merci: Original documents by Nier/Feuerhand from the wartime period already refer to this lantern as "176 E" in writing, in particular to distinguish it from the "176 Lu" (Luftschutz = air raid protection) model. So the "E" designator after the number was in fact coined by the manufacturer.

Best,

Christina

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nachteule ()

• Hello all together,

the FH 176 E was already introduced end of 1939, same with the FH 176 Lu.

With the Nr. 176 E the Nier company tried to introduce a lantern on the market which

was cheap to produce and with a low consumption of kerosene. At least this project failed

because the consumers insisted on the heavy lantern types and due to the fact that the

Frowo company still produced all types of lanterns.

In none of my numerous leaflets and catalogues I do have in my Feuerhand archive you can

find a RAL number. Even after the war you can read only:

gelb lackiert - yellow varnished

rotbraun lackiert - red brown varnished

With the Feuerhand types Nr. 271a and 271b it was the same. The number and the letter was used

in catalogues and leaflets but never on the lantern itself.

Kind regards

Jörg