Barthel Smaragdin

• I am using kerosene, as I think the burner is made for that.

For preheating I use a set of double (2 times) amount, as it looks as if the temperature is too low for proper "ignition".

Viele Grüsse

Peter

• Yes, you are right, it was a diffuse description.

Kerosene, also known as paraffin, lamp oil, and coal oil.

To be more exact - I am using CAS-number: 64742-48-9.

Do I need heavier or lighter fuel, do you think?

Grüsse Peter

• Now I have tried the follwing:

A mixture kerosene:gasoline of 1:1 - no positive result.

Pure gasoline - no positive result.

It loses the flame immediately in both cases.

I am able to keep a flame if I hold an "igniting flame" (butane gas or other) close to the nozzle.

My nozzle is 0,5 mm. Is that the right size?

I have tried with little pressure and I have tried with more pressure in the

I don't understand why. I am out of ideas.

Viele Grüsse

Peter

• I do not own such a big blow torch but in general:

Have you checked the flow of fuel out of the nozzle ? Fuel should spout as a "straight beam"

If not, the problem is within the nozzle or before (dirty wick etc. if there is one which I anyhow assume

If fuel spouts correct, I guess it is still under temperature and the item needs more preheating.

I also think that cerosene is the right fuel for this big blowtorches, not gasoline.

N.B. just found a video where the guy needs also intensive preheating to get the smaragdin running

https://www.faceclips.net/vide…I0c-z4/barthel-smara.html

Grüße

Andy

Fiat Lux !

• Hi Andy, many thanks for your advice.

I do have a nice and steady "straight beam" of fuel, and I will try to increase the pre-heating to see the effect of this.

For my understanding: Which type of fuel gives the more heat, gasoline or kerosene?

The video I have seen before, but I am quite a bit from getting a steady flame at all, so I could not directly make a reference to this.

Do you know what nozzle goes to which type of fuel?

Viele grüsse

Peter

• It is easy to find out which fuel has got more heating energy on many sources:

--> Kerosene has a higher content than gasoline.

In the video the guy used an additional heat shield over the burner during preheating, this is a hint that it is not so easy to get it well preheated.

I would say that, depending on ambient temperature of the lamp, it will take minimum 5 Minutes to preheat it sufficiently at no wind influence.

There is a mass of material which needs to get hot enough to vaporize the fuel for steady operation.

Even a kerosene lantern operated at colder temperatures need minimum 2 portions of priming fuel to get started, the orifice at these lamps however ist much smaller as well as the mass of metal to preheat.

Re the nozzle diameter, usually nozzles for gasoline have slightly more orifice than for kerosene (gasoline needs more amount of fuel at the end of the day for a comparable output). This applies usually also for stoves and lamps when operated with different fuels.

I cannot tell you whether the 0.5mm on your blowtorch is the correct one but i would assume it initially.

Some of the forum users have (had?) the same torch as yours , probably they can help you further on regarding the corrrect orifice diameter.

However, test preheating at a windstill place with more than 2 times refilling the preheater cup or use another device (electrical hot air blower etc) to warm the burmer parts of the torch up before priming with methylated spirit.

Grüße

Andy

Fiat Lux !

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Netzwerk ()

• Vielen Dank - Andy!

I shall consider your recommendations and make another try for a functioning blowlamp.

I will come back, probably during the week-end.

Grüsse

Peter

• I had the same problem when I used gasoline in my Barthel kerosene burner

Viele Grüße

Richard