Evaporation from tank?

• Hi,

It has been many years since I was able to use any lanterns regularly. And now I do not remember how if it is a problem to use one only occasionally. Is there a problem with fuel evaporating?

• Thank you but I don't understand. The burner is not sealed, the wick fits loosely in it. How can it be that the fuel won't evaporate as if it was stored in an open container?

• I really do not understand the sense/background of your question in detail.

My experience with occasionally used wick lanterns (I've got approx 10 pcs. in this "mode") which are stored att approx. 20°C with kerosene in the tank that there is a very little loss in volume by evaporating.

However, There are many factors influencing this, e.g. storage temperature, the type of kerosene used etc.

As a conclusion: yes, there are losses by evaporating, but very little, I would say neglicible.

Just try it, after 6 months or a year you will confirm my statement or post your personal experience her.

Grüße

Andy

Fiat Lux !

• Thank you, Andy. I'm glad to hear of your experience. I will try it. I have only Alkan now. In the past I bought large size drums of kerosene and I was living in a farm setting and had more opportunity to use the lantern and because of the low price of the fuel was not concerned. Now I'm buying quite expensive small quantities. I didn't want to waste it.

• Don't care about the loss....its not worth to spend any more words on that.

Compare to your car: how much fuel evaporates from the tank by the fuel tank ventilation? Not zero but.....

Grüße

Andy

Fiat Lux !

• hi Nomad,

yes there is some evaporation from tank.

in storm lanterns it's very little, as the wick is small.

in round wick lamps with wick sizes of 60-90mm , as well as Aladdin lamps you can notice the evaporation after a year or so.

regs

willi

Demut tät' uns allen gut.

• Thank you Willi :) This is helpful info.

I have a business trip soon. When I come back I'll fire up one of the new lanterns and I will post a pic of the small collection here. I have only 4 lanterns with me.