Petromax 500CP is pulsating and leaking cerosine from the generator bottom

• Oh :sleep: I´m sorry...
    but, maybe - my post could although be interesting for you, most of the Petromax users have dumped the steel burner, because of the several problems, me too!

For better kerosene-gas/air-mixing try to process the air-inlet of the mixing tube with a countersink, this will lead to less turbulences and better airflow.
    The needle should be visible at a length of about 1mm (not more), when the valve ist closed.
    When tank is pressurized and no inner mantle ist mounted, the kerosene should shoot out straight upwards in a thin jet when you open the valve without preheating the carburettor.

Best regards
    Jürgen

Mancher will von der Lampe den Rost abputzen, scheuert aber nur das Metall weg und der Rost bleibt sitzen.
    Zitat: Quelle unbekannt

• The kerosene goes straight up. The problem is that I can't increase
    more than 14mm the air gap between mixing pipe and nipple. It is
    shown at the attached picture in my second post. Will put the clay
    nozzle back instead of the steel one in use at the moment, but this
    wont change the pulsing behavior of my lantern.

Always use original Petromax mantles and a Geiger–Müller counter :D

• In most cases, proper usage of the brass gauze will solve the "Leidenfrost" problem.
    It is also recommended, to let the lantern lit for several hours - the arising deposits inside the carburettor may increase the pulsating.

Don't worry, just remember: Our lanterns are a little bit like Harley Davidsons - sometimes they need more maintenance than others, but if they work well, the outstanding illumination is better than from all the battery-powered LED-stuff i know :zwille:

Good luck :)

Mancher will von der Lampe den Rost abputzen, scheuert aber nur das Metall weg und der Rost bleibt sitzen.

• Stranded wire is ok, thanks.

For coax mantle, check IST from copper, not steel. And should be blanc copper. A lead coadting might melt at high temperatures.

For mixing tube gap, check if there are two lead washers between fount and lower part of vaporizer.

Don't worry. You'll get it working.

Demut tät' uns allen gut.

• Hi guys,
    The problem has been solved more or less.
    I made a chamfer (fase) at the internal edge of mixing pipe's
    intake end with a senker (don't know the english name of this
    tool, in bulgarian is also senker). Then succeeded to move it
    about 2mm up. Lit the lamp up and let it for 3 hours. Burning
    now is stable, flickering is minimal. Will install the brass lace
    anyway when I receive it.
    Thank you for your support.

P.S.
    Led lanterns are for those, who like pink french cars :D

Always use original Petromax mantles and a Geiger–Müller counter :D

• Well done :done:
    In my post, i called it "countersink" (Senker) - the good result is the same :D
    Finally, the stabilty of the light will be further improved, by installing the brass thing ;)