Help! Pump valve on Petromax 828

• Hi,

I am trying to replace the pump valve on my Petromax. I've unscrewed the valve and it is loose and wobbling in it's housing, but it will not come out! I've tried banging the tank, holding it upside down while flicking the valve with a screwdriver but it's not dropping out. I can't see anything on the replacement valve that would explain why it is sticking. It's very puzzling - has anyone else had this problem or does any one have any suggestions? Many thanks.

• Hello and :welcome: here,

this problem sometimes appears.

The reason could be:
    a) There are some depostits from old fuel inside the tank, which cover all surfaces. In this case the valve ist too lage in diameter to come throught the core dimater of thread.

b) The valve hooked at the lead gasket at the bottom of the pump

Some solution suggestions:

- put some solvet in tank, such like aceton, universal dilution, caustic soda .... to get rid off the depostis
    { in case of a) always clean the tank}

- bend a small hook with which you pull the valve out

- press (e.g. with a screwdriver) through the filler neck from the inside against the valve and turn it throught pump shaft

- grip it with a small plies and pull it out

Greetings Ruediger

Gruß Rüdiger [iogear1]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erst eine PX500 BW, jetzt Ʃ14805HK + Ʃ39,7kW + Ʃ173''.... mol seehn wat noch kimmt :whistling:

• Success!!! No need to explain to the doctor - I used a screwdriver to reach down through the filler cap and levered the valve out. It was very dirty so now I will clean the tank and flush out the deposits before going any further.

Thank you all for your help!

Kind regards, Mike

• Success!!! No need to explain to the doctor - I used a screwdriver to reach down through the filler cap and levered the valve out. It was very dirty so now I will clean the tank and flush out the deposits before going any further.

Thank you all for your help!

Kind regards, Mike

:done: Good Idea ! :done:

Auf die einfachste Lösung kommt man immer zuletzt.
    Das mit dem Schraubenzieher geht auch "Outdoor", wenn man mal das chirurgische Besteck nicht dabei hat! :D

Gruß Jo