In The Off Chance That Someone Is Interested!!

• Hi Folks

I've been scratching my head over the the whole issue with Vapalux V Tilley mantles in terms of compatibility etc..The Vapalux mantle in my opinion is far to small when burnt and towards the end of the mantle it appears to narrow in a lot (even past the burner screen!!)..that to me is a big no no..Was never to happy with the performance from the Vapalux mantles so I changed to Petromax 500cp double whole ...an improvement, certainly, but still not right!..So nothing for it but to fit a tilley mantle and I fitted it as you would a tilley mantle and not the Vapalux way...The result is like chalk and cheese..SUPER BRIGHT with no dull spots :applaudit:

Brian I know you going to come back on this one :besserwisser: :whistling: ..interested to know what you think??

OCD.. Obsessive Coleman Disorder 8o

• :krank:

• Hi Fox you are right i have come back on this one originaly i admit i thought a vapoulux/bialaddin mantle and tilley mantles were compatable and a Tilley mantle could be used on a bialaddin/vapourlux,but several months back i ordered a couple of mantles for the bialaddin and the tilley and i was told by the man at base camp that they were not compatable and would not work as good in another lantern so i bought two tilley mantles and two bialaddin mantles, in future fox i will just by the Tilley mantles and use them on my Bialaddin, which is handy as i have three Tilleys one old PL53 waiting for me to restore

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• Brain

Sorry,No No...I was not directing this thread directly for/at you. I was only interested in what you thought because of your experience with these lamps as mine is very limited...To put it in short I just though that the Vapalux mantle should be fitted the same as a tilley mantle so the mantle takes that mushroom shape as apposed to the other..I found when fitted like this the light output was far better... :thumbup:

• Hi Guys,

I am using an old 1960ies Petromax two hole mantle on my Tilley guardsman, it works brilliant, very bright and for about fife years now (still the same old mantle) It is a bit bigger than original Tilley-mantles, but works quite well.

Just an Idea, as they are still to have on the internet. German Name is: "Petromax 2 Loch Socken"

Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!

• Hi Bjorn what CP Petromax mantel you have fitted to your guardsman is it the 350 or 500 candel power mantel and will the modern version from Pelem work

All the verry best from essex uk :gaehn:

• I am using old 500HK / CP mantles, they're working great.

I had not tried actual mantles 'til today. :rauch:
    Best regards, Björn

God created men.
    Sam Colt made them equal!